Saturday, March 21, 2009

Recipe for Homemade Wheat Bread

The recipe I use for my homemade wheat bread came from Tammy's Recipes. I have a link for her site on my side bar and the homemade wheat bread link is here:

I am adding the recipe to my site for my family and my future use. Also I want it printed in my monthly blog book.

I make the bread dough in my Bread Making Machine on the "dough" cycle then take it out and put it in a regular bread pan to bake. (I don't bake it in the bread machine)
First I grind the wheat. Yes, with my hand grinder. It's fast and efficient! Since I have such a small family, and don't want to spend the $200+ for an electric grinder. I purchased a hand grinder for around $70. I love it and it does the job for me.

(This is all natural ground wheat. Any unused wheat needs to be stored in the fridge. I put mine in a zip lock bag with all the air pushed out.)
Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoons salt

Put all the ingredients above in the order listed in the bread machine pan. I stir all the ingredients together before I put in the dry goods.

Next I prepare to put in the dry ingredients. I found that I really like putting Gluten Flour in the dough. It makes the bread bind together like store purchased bread. I didn't know what "gluten" was until my friend Gail H. told me she purchases it in the bulk section at Winco. I thought "gluten" was something like lard or a solid fat product. I was surprised it was a flour.

I hope this enlightens you too in knowing what gluten is. Maybe you already knew and wasn't in the dark about this wonderful thing before. I know people put it in their cinnamon roll recipes too. I'm glad I finally know what it is.
You put 1 tablespoon of gluten in per cup of flour. This recipe has 3 cups of flour so I use 3 tablespoons. I put it in the 1/2 cup first then fill the rest of the cup with white flour. Basically, I am not adding extra flour/gluten.... replace 3 tablespoons of the flour called for in the recipe with gluten.
Dry ingredients: 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
Then you make a little indentation in the flour to hold the yeast.
2 1/4 teaspoons instant active dry yeast or 1 packet into the "hole" you made in the flour. You don't want the yeast in the water yet in a bread machine.
That is it.... EASY. Then you put the pan in the bread machine.
Put the control on "dough" setting - which is #8 on my machine. Press start and leave (or clean up the mess and leave).
My bread machine take 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete the dough cycle. While it is processing, I get my bread pan and grease it good with shortening.
When the machine beeps, it looks like this. Beautiful!
Take it out on to a dusting of flour. I knead down gently and get air bubbles out by kneading a few times - not too much and not too much more flour.
I then form a loaf of bread.
I first place the dough upside down getting shortening on the top side of the dough. Turn up right (shortening on top).
Cover and let rise.
Now it's ready to bake. 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
When it is done, I spread butter onto the top of the bread and let cool out of the pan on a towel.
Then I have a wonderful slice of warm bread... mmmmmmm so delicious and EASY.

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast or 1 yeast packet

Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

1 comment:

CB said...

YUM can I just come over and buy some that you make? (wink wink)

I really stink at making wheat bread and that looks seriously delish!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin