Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Monday, January 3, 2011

Thanksgiving

Internet picture - I didn't take a single picture during Thanksgiving (totally forgot). 

This year for Thanksgiving 2010 the weather was stormy and snowy. There were several storms that hit Idaho and the roads were treacherous. I knew the storms were coming in a week before and didn't feel good about the trip to my Mom's house for Thanksgiving. I called her and she talked me into going anyway. I had purchased an airplane ticket for Brady to fly there to spend extra time with his cousins. Our schools took the whole week off due to budget / tax cuts, which meant that Brady was out of school all week. I still had to work during the week, so we planned to fly Brady into Pocatello (via Idaho Falls) to spend time with his favorite cousin Autumn. I already blogged about the canceled flight and terrible time Brady had to get into Pocatello here. 

I continued to work throughout the week. I had a terrible feeling that didn't let up about traveling home on those terrible icy snow covered roads. Finally on Tuesday I made the decision not to go and those terrible feelings immediately left me. I knew it was the right thing to do to stay home. The problem was that Brady was in Pocatello and I had to find a way to get him home. I ended up purchasing another airplane ticket to return him home. He flew back on Friday.

Jason and Sharon had to work on Thanksgiving and were staying home. I decided to cook a turkey dinner and we planned to have it on Friday since they were off and Brady was flying home. I've never cooked a Thanksgiving dinner on my own because I always go home for Thanksgiving. I really enjoyed it. I ended up cooking a turkey and a ham (Jason wanted ham). I made pies too - I've never made pies for Thanksgiving, I am the "roll" girl. It was a new experience, but fun. We had, Turkey, Ham, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli in white sauce and cheese, Rolls, pumpkin pie, apple pie, cherry pie, banana cream, coconut cream, and lemon pie. It was yummy!

The one thing I did with my turkey that I wished I wouldn't have, is I put a butter / herb mixture under the skin of the turkey for a moist and flavorful turkey. The turkey was moist and yummy - but due to the herbs - I couldn't use the leftovers. I tried but they ruined the soups and casseroles I made due to the overwhelming flavor of the herbs. I won't be doing that again. 

Jason and Sharon had a friend from work that was stranded too, Jared. He came to dinner and enjoyed the day with us. We had a lot of food, played games and laughed. I had such a great time!! I could see changing my tradition to having my own family Thanksgiving dinner, especially since Jason and Sharon seem to always work on Thanksgiving holiday. I know my Mom will be sad if I decide to stop going - but I am seriously thinking about it.  





No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin