Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Recipe: Chocolate Mousse Pie

Chocolate Mousse Pie has become Brady's absolutely favorite dessert. He has never cared for pie in general, but finally I've found a pie he will eat.

The last day of school, Friday May 18th as I was working in the yard and preparing for my Primary Class party and Brady was having a movie party in the house, he comes out and tells me:

"Mom, by the way, we are in charge of desserts tomorrow and I want you to make Ginger Snap cookies and Chocolate Mousse pie" (for a graduation party at Lucky Peak on Saturday).

No prior notification - just telling me in the evening the day before he needs it. I hate it when kids don't give you notification and thinks mom can pull it together at the spur of the moment.

I made Ginger Snap cookies and chocolate chip cookies around 10 PM Friday night and looked for the ingredients for the chocolate mousse pie, but was missing cool whip. I told him that I would make it in the morning after I went to the store. However when I returned from the store, I was running so far behind for my own Primary Party that I didn't have time to make it and have it set up to take to Lucky Peak. I told him they would have to come after the party and have dessert here. It turned out that they had another movie party after Lucky Peak and ate it Saturday night - so it all turned out.

Here is the recipe:

1 (7 ounce) bar milk chocolate candy
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup milk
Cool Whip
1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust

In a heavy saucepan heat the candy bar, marshmallows and milk over low heat until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth, stirring constantly.

Cool.

Fold in whipped cream;

Pour into crust.

Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Refrigerate leftovers.

 I purchase the 6 pack of Hershey's milk chocolate candy bar and use 5 bars. I break them up into each divided section and add it the my sauce pan.
The original recipe calls for 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped.
I am lazy and use a tub of Cool Whip instead and it's still really yummy. Usually I have Cool Whip in the freezer so all I have to do it pull it out of the freezer, thaw it and use it. I'm not prepared with heavy whipping cream and would have to pre-plan a trip to the store to make whipping cream from scratch - and I am not that efficient *wink.

I also don't STIR in the whip cream - I fold it with a spatula as gently as possible. Folding the bottom over the top - again and again until it is mixed - keeping the whipped texture present in the pie.

It's really yummy and easy... my kind of pie!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin