Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Recipe: Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies

I try to make different kinds of cookies now and then because we get tired of eating the same kind all the time.

I've had this recipe for quite a while and finally decided to give it a try.

As I was cooking them I was thrown back into time to Christmas as a little girl.
These cookies reminded me of Christmas and Gingerbread.
Every year when I was a girl we would make a Gingerbread village right after Thanksgiving.

I asked Brady if this smell made him think of Christmas. It didn't because we don't cook gingerbread and cut it out to make houses anymore. Too bad! But after he ate one, it did remind him of Christmas too.

These are Brady new FAVORITE cookie. I've been making them weekly for at least a month (along with other kinds too). While Jason was here for Easter he fell in love with them too and I was able to pull a couple bags from the freezer and send them with him.

They are very yummy, soft and chewy. The ginger and cinnamon warms your heart / stomach /soul with goodness.

Here is the recipe for Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies

(A note: When my spices are low, I replenish them from the bulk spice section at Winco.)
Chewy Ginger Snaps

Cream together until fluffy:
1 1/2 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs

Sift together:
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cloves
4 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
and add to creamed mixture.

After mixing well ....
 roll into 1 inch balls ....
roll balls into sugar
 Place on cookie sheet and cook for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
 DO NOT OVERCOOK!
 ENJOY!!!
 With only 2 people in my household, I always freeze cookies in freezer Ziploc bags.
When the bag on the counter is getting low, I pull another bag out in the morning. They stay fresh and last much longer. Usually I have more then one kind of cookie in the freezer and I pull out different kinds to keep it interesting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin