Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Recipe: 12 Hour Rolls


I learned how to make these rolls when I lived in Logan Utah when I was around 20 years old at an institute family home evening. The bishop's wife taught us how to make these rolls in their home. I've been making them ever since.  

12 HOUR ROLLS 
(These are my famous rolls I make every Thanksgiving and holiday)

Ingredients: 

3 Tablespoon warm/hot water
1 yeast cake
1 Tbsp. Sugar

1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine (I use butter)
1 Cup Luke warm milk

1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs well beaten

3/4 tsp. salt
4 cups flour

The night before you are going to serve these rolls, you put the batter together.

Start with a cup. I let the warm water from the faucet run in the cup and warm it up. Then I put in 3 Tablespoons of finger touch hot warm water, 1 yeast cake or 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast and 1 Tablespoon of sugar (don't forget the sugar - the yeast needs it to feed on/activate it and grow - it will not grow without the sugar). Then I work the combination with a spoon until the yeast it completely de-solved (like you would do if you were making jello - to completely de-solve the jello). I have to take my finger and scrape it off of the spoon and push it up against the edges until it doesn't stick to the spoon anymore. 
In a sauce pan I warm up/scald 1 cup of milk and a cube of butter.  Let cool to luke warm. 
In my big tupperware bowl, I put the 3 eggs and 1/2 cup of sugar and mix well with wooden spoon.  
Then I mix all the rest of the ingredients together when they are ready. 
You can tell the yeast has risen to the top of the cup and the milk/butter mixture is cooled down.
Mix together with a wooden spoon. See my yeast has risen in the green cup - that is what you want.
Then add the 4 cups of flour and 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
Mix until well blended. You don't need to over mix it. This is what it looks like - a wet dough.
Put the lid on the bowl and set overnight on the counter. 
In the morning it's nice and bubbly and risen.
I toss a couple of handfuls of flour over the top of the dough.
Then I start pulling the dough away from the edges and press down into a blob of dough. Add more flour if it gets too sticky. 
Melt a cube of butter (in the green cup) in the microwave. Have a rolling pin, pizza cutter and spatula ready. Flour the counter. 
Divide the dough in half. 
Take half of the dough and pat it down with your hand. 
Then roll it into a circle. 
Put 1/2 of the butter on top of the dough and spread evenly. 
Take your pizza cutter and cut the dough like a pizza into 16 slices.  
Like this. 
Take the end and roll it towards the center. 
Put the roll on a cookie sheet with the end of the triangle rolled up under the roll so that it doesn't unravel or stick up. 
If there is remaining butter brush top of each roll with butter. Sometime I melt another 1/2 of a cube of butter to get all the rolls brushed in butter. 
This batch makes 32 rolls or 2 pans full. 
Cover with a towel and let sit until your dinner in the afternoon. 
After several hours they rise and look beautiful!
Bake at 350 degree for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Yields 32 rolls.
When they come out of the oven, I brush each roll with butter again. They are very light and fluffy and buttery. Melt in your mouth! Everyone loves them!

Recipe: 
12 HOUR ROLLS 

3 Tablespoon Luke warm water
1 yeast cake
1 Tbsp. Sugar

1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
1 Cup Luke warm milk

1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs well beaten

3/4 tsp. salt
4 cups flour

Dissolve yeast. Add sugar. Let yeast rise until foamy.

Melt butter and milk in sauce pan over medium heat. Cool to luke warm.

Blend eggs and sugar together.

Add foamy yeast, luke warm butter and milk together with eggs and sugar.

Add salt and flour. Cover bowl and leave out overnight if convenient (or let it sit for 5-6 hours).

Turn out on lightly floured board. Knead it down. Divide it in half. roll one half of the dough in a circle (like a pizza). Brush with melted butter. Cut in wedges like a pie (into 16 wedges). Roll each piece lightly starting with the large end, place on greased pan and brush lightly with butter. Cover and let stand for another 5-6 hours.

Bake at 350 degree for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Yields 32 rolls.

2 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Those look delicious.
I love the tutorial. I'll be trying these. My rolls are famously AWFUL! No lie.

gigi said...

This recipe looks like a keeper! Yum!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin