Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
2 cups cubed chicken or turkey
1 Tablespoon flour
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup sliced celery
1/2 teaspoon crushed Thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup butter (or margarine)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup cooked peas
Pastry for 2 pie crusts
In sauce pan cook carrots, onions, and celery, with thyme and pepper in butter until tender. (I only used one onion (not a cup) which is plenty for me.)  Aren't my carrots pretty - I used my pretty pampered chef knife.
I admit that until recently I always purchased pie crust for this recipe. But, now I don't because I know how easy it is to make it. Thanks Kimmie! I actually make this in my food processor. I am halving Kimmie's recipe - this is for 1 double crust below (I don't have 1/2 Tablespoon spoon so I just eyeball it)

1/4 cup REAL butter
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon dry milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cold water

Mix butter and shortening together.
Add half the flour and all of the dry ingredients.
Mix.
Add the rest of the flour and water. 
Roll out very thin with plenty of flour. I use parchment paper. (Parchment paper - flour - pie dough - flour on dough and another sheet of parchment paper.) Then I roll in one direction and turn the parchment paper each time I roll forward. It is very easy. 
Carefully put in pie plate and prick with fork all over.
 I cut up the chicken with my kitchen scissors. It is lots easier then cutting into chunks with a knife. 
 Add flour and toss chicken.
 Stir in soup and chicken in the veggies.
 Add cup of peas and stir.
Pour in 9" pastry lined pan.
 Lay another piece of pastry on top. Brush top of pastry with milk. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes (I cooked mine 55 minutes the recipe says 45) until golden brown. 
 Doesn't it look beautiful?
And it really yummy too. Once in a while I also diced up a cooked baked potato into the mixture when I have one in the fridge - I didn't this time. 
Great flavor!

5 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That looks absolutely delicious! You make it look so good. Ultimate comfort food.
I'm a pie crust failure, you're inspiring me to give it a try again. I love any recipe from Kimmie's kitchen!

Yes I have a cricket that I'm ashamed to say I haven't used much until this week. I've had it for over 4 years, but have used it more lately than all the other years combined. I'm really having a good time.
In Rexburg we still look like we're in the middle of December and I'm sorta struggling trying to stay on top with lack of sunlight.
I thought this might help. It has been nice to have a few days off work to just do what I wanted.

Pitterle Postings said...

It looks amazing. We make chicken pot pie too and it is one of our favorites. When I am in a hurry, I use frozen mixed veges instead of doing all the cutting. I cook them in chicken broth before I add them to the mixture. They taste great and it saves some time when I am in a hurry. You can also use frozen crusts, although I much prefer to take the extra effort and make home made.

Rhonda said...

I have had your chicken pot pie before and all I can say is it is as good as it looks. I had a funny dream about you last night but don't want to post it here. ;0)

Nicole Prasch said...

i love your font!

Ann Marie said...

This looks yummy! I need to try it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin