Thursday, February 17, 2011

Recipe: Homemade Oreos

Brady and I love these OREO cookies. I quit purchasing the ever shrinking OREO's from the store and we were in withdrawal. I decided to try it out and loved it! Below are two recipes, one with a cake mix and the other from scratch. I have made both of them, but tend to use the cake mix recipe more because it whips up quickly.
I make 1/2 of this batch with the cake mix. It is perfect for brady and me, but if you have more then 2 people in your family - make the full recipe. You'll be glad you did.

2 Devil's food cake mixes
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup Shortening

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter (or 1/2 stick)
4 cups Powdered Sugar

Combine cake mix, eggs and shortening. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.

I use a "1 teaspoon spoon" of cookie mix per cookie on the cookie sheet. I like them small (you can see the comparison with the real OREO above. The real OREO is darker brown. You can also see my teaspoon by the frosting bag. That is what I use - small uniform cookies. I've also used a bigger scoop, but prefer the small size. 

Bake in 350 degree oven for 9 - 10 minutes. I bake mine for 9 minutes. 

Remove to cooling rake. After cooled, put frosting on one cookie and put another cookie on top. Yum!


10 TBSP butter (1 cube plus 2 TBSP)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup flour

Mix together butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy.
Add in egg, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder and mix until thoroughly mixed.
Next add in flour until blended well.

Form into "tiny balls" and bake on a greased cookie sheet
375 degrees for 9-10 minutes.
Remove from cookie sheet and completely cool on a rack.

Cream Cheese filling
1/4 cup butter
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 package)
1 to 2 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
Cream together for one minutes.

After cookies are cooled spread cream cheese filling on the bottom side of one of the wafers and then place another wafer similar in size on top to make a sandwich cookie. Squish together and store in an airtight container. 

6 comments:

Ann Marie said...

This is my FAVORITE cookie! I prefer the cake mix recipe. I love it!!

Today I am grateful that your blog is open.. since your not on FB anymore.. and I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to wish you a HAPPY Birthday!!!

Since I can only comment to you here.. in the open.. I guess everyone is going to get to read my novel comment! lol!!

So... Happy Birthday to you.. Happy Birthday to you.. Happy Birthday dear Sondra..... Happy Birthday to you!!!!

For your birthday... I'm going to list a few reasons why I love and adore you!

1- I love your dedication to your family.
You put so much love and effort into everything you do for them -- and it shows!
I love that you show unconditional love to them.. even if they don't make the choices you would wish for. You truly are a wonderful mother.

2- I love your dedication to your calling!
You give it 100% and it shows with your structure.. enthusiasm.. and the fact that you make time for the kids with parties and things that are not required of you. Any child is lucky that is taught by you!

3- I love how much you serve. Even though you get paid to clean.. I know many women would say that you go above and beyond to help them... just because you are so kind and generous.
I will always remember that older woman that died a while back -- and when you blogged about her.. I could feel that you gave her MUCH love and charity.
I know you are full of it.

4- I love that you strive to be happy.
You have had a hard life ( like I have ) but you choose to find ways daily.. to bless others and make your family happy. You look for ways to eat healthy, be prepared.. and you are grateful.
I know life isn't always easy for you.. but you still try each day to be positive and happy.. and that is truly admiring!

Something will be in the mail.. but maybe not until next week. Sorry! I am not up to par.. but Organizing and a sick family has taken over me!

I hope you have a fabulous day and weekend!
Love ya! XO

gigi said...

Happy birthday and I just love Ann! Can't wait to try these recipes!

Rhonda said...

Yumm and I hope you have a great Birthday.

Valerie said...

Happy Birthday!

I was just thinking about making some homemade Oreos the other day. I've made them once~ with the cake mix recipe. They were pretty good!

Anonymous said...

I just made oreo's the cake mix way last week for bishop's youth discussion. By the Way, Happy Birthday. Hope you were able to relax and enjoy your day.
Love Cindy

Kimmie said...

Happy Birthday Lady SondraDee!

I just love your zest for life and love that you have ventured out and are SO willing to try new things! There are a lot of people out there who don't dare try a new recipe, or think they're too old to take up baking/cooking.

You and I are SO much alike with our LOVE for making everything from scratch and to feed our families "home-made" as much as we can!

I love your honesty, love your devotion to being the best mom and support in the world to your kids. Your positive attitude is contagious!! You are an example of goodness to all of us!!

SO happy you tried the OREO recipes. I know the cake mix recipe is SO much easier, but I'm a nut to want to only make things as much as possible with "staple ingredients" with no mixes, however, there are those days when time is limited and you are grateful to be able to open a mix, or a can to make dinner or dessert.

Thanks for your friendship and all of the kind words you always leave me. It is SO appreciated!!

I hope you have a wonderful day and that this is your BEST birthday so far!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin