Thursday, October 8, 2009

Recipe: Bacon Potato Soup

Bacon-Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 package sliced bacon, but in small pieces
8-10 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in small pieces
2 cups cheese, shredded
Chopped onion, salt, and pepper to taste

Thickening: 1/2 cup flour and 1 cup water
Cut bacon in to small pieces. I find it easier to cut them with my kitchen scissors. Much easier then cutting with a knife.
Fry bacon pieces until crisp.
Drain grease and set bacon aside.
Cook potatoes and onions (I use 1/4 cup of onions) in enough water to cover them, in the same pan so the bacon flavor cooks into the broth. I add one tablespoon of salt in the water when I cook the potatoes and onions. I like the salt cooked into the potatoes for flavor.
When potatoes are tender, slowly add thickening. 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup flour (I also add 1/8 tsp of pepper and 1/4 tsp salt - but add it to your taste). I whisk it really well before I slowly add it into the potato/onion mixture while stirring. If you want the soup thicker add more.
Remove pan from heat. Add bacon and cheese. Add cheese slowly and stir in until creamy.
It is a really yummy soup! You will love it.

3 comments:

Connie said...

It looks delicious! My problem with bacon is, I end up eating half of it before it gets used! My soup would be potato and bacon flavored soup!

Zoey said...

Sounds like something that we should try at our house.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Mmmmmmm, perfect for a Fall day.
Good idea to use the scissors for cutting up the bacon.
Thanks for that great idea!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin