Thursday, September 3, 2009

Recipe: White Bread in bread machine

During the Preparedness challenge, we ran out of store bought white bread. While I love my wheat bread recipe, sometimes it's just nice to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread. I wanted to try some hints I've read about and tried to make some white bread that resembled store bought bread. This is what I came up with. It's yummy and the texture is great. I think it is FINE to have white bread in the house along with wheat bread. Just because it is sooooo yummy!

 I also divide the bread into 4 sections and put them in a custard dish for bread bowls for soup.

Of course I use my bread machine to mix the dough on the "DOUGH" setting. It makes life much easier. I love my bread machine
Recipe:
1 and 1/3 cup warm water (from faucet hot to touch) 
4 tsp butter
2 TBSP Sugar
4 tsp Dry Milk Powder (6 tsp instant powdered milk)
2 tsp Salt
3 TBSP Gluten
1/2 cup Potato Flakes
3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 yeast cake or 2 and 1/4 tsp from a jar (equals 1 yeast cake on my jar)
  (I always fill my bread making pan with warm water first to warm up the pan - then dump it out to warm up the pan).

Add a little less then 1 and 2/3 cup warm water to the warm pan.

Add the 4 TBSP of butter - which is 1/2 of a cube of butter (I set out 1/2 of a cube and let it soften then cut into 4 pats of butter and add). Since the butter is soft it starts to melt in the water.

Add 2 TBSP of sugar.

Add 2 tsp of salt.

Don't stir. Then add the dry ingredients in the pan - in the order listed below.
Add 2 cups flour to pan.
Add 4 tsp of powdered milk.
  Add 1/2 cup potato flakes

Add 3 Tablespoons to 1/2 cup - then add enough flour to the 1/2 cup enough to completely fill the cup.
Add to pan
Add additional 1/2 cup of flour (for a total of 3 cups of flour). 
Make a dent in the center of the flour and add the yeast.
Add yeast to the dent in the flour.

That is it.
Turn the bread dough settings to dough and START.
(If you want to bake it in your bread machine you can push the correct setting to bake it and press start)
On the "dough setting" - when the machine beeps and you pull it out - oh yum - it looks marvelous.
I knead it a few times.
Place dough upside down in a shortening greased bread pan to get grease on the top of the loaf and set the greased side up.

Then I let it rise a until its just over the pan (as shown above).
Then place it in a 350 degree oven for 30 - 35 minutes. (Mine is about 28 minutes). When you take the bread out of the pan and tap the bottom of the bread it should sound hollow. That is how you know it is done.
I butter the top of the bread and take it out of the pan to cool on a towel. Oh yummy! We love this recipe.

8 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Thanks for this recipe!

I KNOW wheat is healthier.. but my body has a hard time with it.. so I buy and eat white bread daily.

If we were in need to only use food storage.. I would be in trouble with all wheat stuff. ;0

This looks so yummy.. ~ And I'm sure your house smelled heavenly!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Yummy! It looks so good I can smell it! Did I miss the invitation to come and share a slice cause I'm sure you meant to send it to me!

Small House said...

OH YUM!!!! I don't have a bread machine, but I think my family would really appreciate it if I did.
FUNNY....at first I thought you wer putting coconut in your bread recipe. HAHAHA
Sandra

Kimmie said...

There is nothing that makes a home smell better than HOMEMADE bread baking!!

Thanks for sharing this recipe and I can't wait to try it out. The only white bread recipe I have is a French Bread recipe and it doesn't make good "bread pan loaves". Interesting that this uses potato flakes. My grandma used to make scones with mashed potatoes.

BTW...I owe you a BIG Thank you for pointing out the dangers of "canning butter". I had just bought 20 pounds of butter the end of July to "can" before my kids went back to school and I am SO glad I read the comment about canning butter (you had given this to Ann Marie I think). I would have hated to have wasted money and precious butter. SO, I just froze the butter and will just make sure always have a few months worth of butter in my freezer for storage.

Anyway, I LOVE your positive attitude you have and such great and helpful posts. I can't wait to make this recipe and send my kids to school with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.

Have a wonderful day!

Connie said...

That is the best looking homemade bread I have ever seen...seriously! I used to bake bread every week before I went to work. Haven't done it for a long time. I'm ready to get back into the saddle because of your post. I think Labor Day would be an excellent day to bake!

Janice said...

That bread looks so yummy. I really need to expand my horizons in bread making. I will be in trouble if and when we have an emergency. I need to practice more. Thanks for the post.

I liked your comment on Cheri's blog.

TheSurvivalMom said...

Your bread looks beautiful! Other than using up your potato flakes, do they have any other purpose in the bread?

Lisa

Sondra said...

Lisa and Pilland.... thanks for visiting my blog :-D..

Usually potato flakes are used in whole-wheat bread to achieve the soft texture of store bought bread. I decided to try it in a white bread to see if it make it more "store bought".

I read in my new book "I Can't Believe It's Food Storage by Crystal Godfrey.. This:

The trick has been used since pioneer days when women would use the cooking water from poatotes in their bread to make it soft. Potato flakes deposit sticky starch into the bubbles that form in baking bread, keeping the air from escaping.

I purchase my potato flakes in the bulk section at Winco ... the the LDS Church canneries now carry potato flakes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin