Thursday, September 17, 2009

Recipe: Stuffed Zucchini

Stuffed Zucchini

Ingredients
3 medium zucchini
1 pound sausage
1 medium yellow squash
1 medium onion
1 carrot
1 can stewed tomatoes (drained)
1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers
pepper (I omitted because I don't like peppers - but I will try it next time)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cut zucchini in half long ways. Scoop out the inside until there is only about 1/4 inch left. Reserve what is scooped out.

Fill a large frying pan with about 1 inch of water. Heat to boil. Place zucchini shells (may need to be done in several batches) into boiling water. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook five minutes. Remove shells and drain.
Brown sausage and drain the fat. Set the meat aside.

I didn't get a picture of the next step (sorry).

Finely chop all the vegetables. Cook onion, carrot, and yellow squash a few minutes (until the onion is just starting to get soft) in the same pan used to cook the sausage.
Add the reserved zucchini, stewed tomatoes, and pepper to taste. Stir in sausage and crackers.
Place zucchini shells on a baking dish and fill with the sausage stuffing. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes until the cheese begins to brown.

It was good.... I'd probably like a little more ooomph or dash of seasoning, so I would add the pepper to the dish next time. I am totally over whelmed with zucchini and this was a super way to use 3 of them. Good dish!

5 comments:

Zoey said...

You surprise me everytime! Good use of the zucchinis. I will have to try it out.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Yummy! I always look forward to checking out your blog and you NEVER disappoint! (ok, except once when you admitted that maybe you were a Jacob fan instead of Edward, but I got over it)

Kimmie said...

How funny that you posted this. I was just thinking to myself last night that I needed to go online and try and find a recipe for "Stuffed Zucchini".

I've never tried stuffed zucchini before, but it sounds yummy and I have heard people talk about how good it is. Can't wait to try this and I will make it with Bell Peppers and let you know how it tasted.

Next Wednesday I am doing a post on "Meal in a pumpkin" that has a really yummy filling that you put in pumpkin. I wonder if this would taste good in zucchini as well.

I am SO proud of you for trying NEW recipes and for becoming such an outstanding cook! You are inspiring!

Have a great day!

Connie said...

As soon as I saw the sausage, I knew it would be good!
Looks yummy.
Are you ready to pray for frost?

Ann Marie said...

Do you only eat the inside? Or is the zucchini soft as well?

I so want to do this.. but I'm not a huge sausage fan.. do you think hamburger would be too bland?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin