Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Happy Clean Living Facebook Group

Happy Clean Living Facebook Group
Click to Join Happy Clean Living Facebook Group.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Pantry Update


This closet is located under my stairs and the door is in the dining area in my kitchen. 
It's been 3 years that I've been an empty nester and this system isn't working for me anymore because I don't need that much food for 1 person. It becomes outdated and I refuse to waste food or throw money away. The boxes were not a useful storage for me anymore. I have broken them down and plan to give them to other extended member of my family who have children at home. I won't throw them away - just recycle to someone who can use them. 

When I updated my pantry 5 years ago, I purchased a bunch of PETE jars to hold bulk dry goods. I stored them 3 jars deep as show in this photo on the top shelf. 
It worked for my small space. However, when I needed something in the back it took some work to get to what I needed. 

One of the blogs I follow "I'm an Organizing Junkie"  posted a Free Printables Round-Up. I loved all the free printables she shared. 

The one I couldn't pass up was Vintage Chalkboard Pantry Labels by Lia Griffith. I purchased some full sheet sticker pages and started printing these cute labels to transform my pantry. 
Jason and Sharon said, "Wow, you went printer happy". 

I love the look of having everything labeled. It took a while to cut each label out, but the end result is beautiful!! 

Behind the jars are #10 cans of additional food storage that are in the PETE jars. 
 This is the side shelf. 
 And the other side.

I love these large PETE jars for Flour, Sugar and Wheat. I still use half white flour and half wheat flour on everything. I don't like 100% wheat flour so I still use half and half. 

My recipe books a basket for chips. 
A couple for bowls for baking, red and sweet potatoes. 
This small cupboard is next to my stove with baking goods.  
 My spice rack above my stove. I went ahead and ordered the spice jars from World Market and the larger glass jars came from Hobby Lobby at 50% off. 

All and all I spent about $50 on my pantry make over. I already had all the PETE jars. The large glass jars - Oregano, Basil, Parsley - and Sea Salt, Corn Starch, Onion Flakes in the pictures above came from Hobby Lobby for $.99 cents each. 
I stored what I canned jars I have on hand in this cabinet next to my fridge. 
I had to manipulate the free labels to print off food items she didn't have. Above are the large labels - ready to add your own food item. 

I opened the label in the "Paint" program. Added white text with the font "Lucida Calligraphy" Bold, at 50 font for the large pantry and 36 for the small pantry - but I changed the size depending on how large the name of the food was. Just play around with it until you find the size/font you love. After I added the names, I printed the labels on a Avery Whole sheet sticker. Then I cut them out. 

You can click on either of these photos and save them to your computer if you want to make your own labels too. I loved her font better, but I didn't have whatever font she used. 

I also liked these smaller labels for my small spice jars with bigger print then the spice labels she had. As I get older, I like the bigger font - grin!. 
 Well, there you have my new improved pantry / food storage for 1 person. It's so organized and pretty. Such fun with free printable!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin