Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Happy Clean Living Facebook Group

Happy Clean Living Facebook Group
Click to Join Happy Clean Living Facebook Group.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Motivational Monday: Build Solid Relationships With Your Children

I often feel such sadness about how hard it is to be a child growing up in the world today. The pressures are extremely harder then when I grew up.

I didn't have the pressure from TV shows to act, dress or look a certain way.

I didn't have the technology access 24 hours a day that scared me about the future.

I didn't grow up with ways the children get bullied with technology.

I don't know how these children go through the pressures put upon them day after day. 

Here are a few highlights from the article: 

As a parent, you know the value of challenges and trials to your children's growth, but it's still difficult to see your children struggle.
President Gordon B. Hinckley: 
"My plea -- and I wish I were more eloquent in voicing it -- is a plea to save the children
Too many of them walk with pain and fear, in loneliness and despair. 
Children need sunlight. 
They need happiness. 
They need love and nurture." 

There are many difficult issues your children could face, such a bullying, bad language, cheating at school, same-sex attraction, eating disorders, depression, and suicidal thoughts, for example. 

Here are some suggestions to help your children face difficulties:

Ask questions that invite conversation
You can ask a question like this: "It looks like something may be bothering you. Do you want to talk about it?" After your child has shared some thoughts about the issue, your response could be: "Thank you for sharing that with me, and thank you for trusting me with this information. I can only imagine what that must feel like. How can I be helpful?
Listen to understand:
"The time to listen is when someone needs to be heard. Can we listen without interrupting and without making snap judgements that slam shut the door of dialogue? 
Show respect:
"The way we treat others becomes increasingly filled with patience, kindness, a gentle acceptance, and a desire to play a positive role in their lives.
Avoid criticism:
Avoid criticizing your children, which can lead them to poor self-esteem and a lack of confidence; rather, find and emphasize the good in each of your children.
Control your anger:
President Hinckley said, "I plead with you to control your tempers, to put a smile upon your faces, which will erase anger; speak out with words of love and peace, appreciation, and respect. If you will do this, your lives will be without regret. Your marriages and family relationships will be preserved. You will be much happier."
Strengthen the relationship:
Ask yourself, "How can I use this situation with my child as an opportunity to strengthen our relationship?" Then listen to and follow the inspiration you receive. 
Keep trying:
Parenting can be very difficult, yet you can succeed if you keep trying. "A successful parent is one who has loved, one who has sacrificed, and one who has cared for, taught, and ministered to the needs of a child. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin