Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Jason has Pneumonia

A couple of weeks ago, May 21st I had a phone call at 7:00 am as I was getting out of the shower. I knew it was important for someone to call so early in the morning. I grabbed a towel and raced to the phone.

On the other end of the phone was this quiet male voice that sounded weird. I couldn't understand what he was saying, he was slurring. I thought it was a wrong number, but then he said it was Jason.

He could hardly talk and had to stop often to try and breath. He told me that he was sick, he couldn't breath and his heart was racing. 

I told him to go immediately to the hospital. I asked him if Sharon could take him because I was on my way to work. It was a big work day and I didn't know if I should cancel my customers and take him to the hospital or if Sharon could take him. 

Sharon just started a new job, so we didn't know if she could get time off to stay with Jason at the hospital. She was going to take him and I was going to rush through my customer and get to the hospital as soon as I could. Sharon's boss was very understanding and let her have to day off to take care of her husband - thank goodness!

I was a nervous wreck. I didn't know if he was having a heart attack or what was going on. Would he have to have surgery, have his chest opened as they worked to save his life? It was the most difficult thing for me to go to work, but I had to let Sharon, his wife, take care of him. If needed, I would rush to the hospital if things took a turn for the worst.

They hooked him up to an EKG, gave him some asthma medicine to open up is lungs and put him on oxygen. The attending nurse said that it didn't look good and walked off without further information. It was very frustrating to Sharon and Jason.
Sharon kept me informed by texting me. After they were able to get oxygen in his body, his heart rate slowed down. His blood pressure was at a good level, so no worries there.

They took an ex-ray of his lungs and we found out that he had Pneumonia. It was a relief to know that it wasn't a heart attack and no operation was needed and he wasn't going to die. It was a scary situation.

They sent him home with an inhaler and a prescription. He had to take a leave of absence from his job to take a week off to get better. I spent several days with him after I was off work. 

This whole thing scared the life out of me, but a relief that it wasn't serious. I love him so much! It took him several days before he could breath like normal. 

It's going to be an expensive hospital visit, but money verses health is no question - go to the hospital and we'll figure out paying for it. 

I also chastised him for getting so sick. I had no idea he was sick. He didn't take care of himself like he should of when he started feeling sick. I hope he learned that you have to take care of yourself at the beginning of an illness, preventive is better then full blown sickness.

I'm glad he is well now. It makes you cherish your children so much more when they are sick. 

No comments:


Blog Widget by LinkWithin