Monday, October 14, 2013

General Conference Study - Elder Hales

General Conference: Strengthening Faith and Testimony
By: Elder Robert D. Hales, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
 How I wish that I would have had the internet when my children where younger. It's motivating to read how mothers prepare their children and family with special activities as conference draws near.

I love Elder Hales quote: Children and youth love to be included. We make a serious mistake if we assume that the conference is above their intellect and spiritual sensitivity. To the young members of the Church, I promise that if you will listen, you will feel the Spirit well up within you. The Lord will tell you what He wants you to do with your life.

My dear niece does a count down with her children before conference, just like a count down for any holiday. Her family does something special every day before General Conference starts to prepare for the opportunity we have to listen to a living Prophet and Apostles.

The night before conference her youngest daughter said, " I'm excited over the top! I don't think I'm even going to be able to sleep tonight!"

One of Zoey's friends on FB asked why and her reply was: General Conference is tomorrow!!! We treat it like a holiday - turkey, fun desserts, treats, sleeping in a tent in the front room, etc. It is super fun and only comes twice a year!!

Friday night they set up their tent in the living room and slept over night together as a family just as the people did during King Benjamin's time.

Elder Hales also said: We accept the Savior’s invitation when we ponder and pray to understand what we have been taught and then go forward and do His will.

Remember President Spencer W. Kimball’s words: “I have made up my mind that when I go home from this [general] conference … there are many, many areas in my life that I can perfect. I have made a mental list of them, and I expect to go to work as soon as we get through.”

President Monson recently said: “I encourage you to read the talks … and to ponder the messages contained therein. I have found in my own life that I gain even more from these inspired sermons when I study them in greater depth.”

In addition to inviting us to hold personal and family scripture study, Heavenly Father wants us to regularly study and apply what we have learned in conference. I testify that those who put their trust in the Lord and heed this counsel in faith will gain great strength to bless themselves and their families for generations to come.

Parents, you may access youth lessons for yourself on LDS.org. Find out what your children are learning, and make it the subject of your own study, family discussions, family home evenings, family councils, and person interviews with each of your children concerning what they need to be taught individually.

Monday night after conference Zoey's family held a special Family Home Evening where each person shared their favorite talk: Here are their favorites from this General Conference:

Kate loved Elder David A. Bednar about tithing.

Dawson loved President Uchtdorf! His quote "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." I'm sure this is destine to be a gospel classic.
Faith loved Elder Holland's talk! It was sure a different one!
I felt the same thing that Faith felt (I think) and loved his. A close second was Elder Hales Saturday morning.
Dad enjoyed Elder Eyring's talk!
And here is the completed wall!
I also loved this part of his talk: 

In conferences we can receive the word of the Lord meant just for us. One member testifies: "As I listened to your address, I was astounded .... Your talk was personal revelation directly from the Lord to my family. I have never experienced such a strong manifestation of the Spirit in my life as those minutes when the Holy Ghost spoke directly to me. 

Another said, "I have never before felt so profoundly that a talk was being given to me."


This is possible because the Holy Ghost carries the word of the Lord unto our hearts in terms we can understand. When I take notes at conference, I do not always write down exactly what the speaker is saying; I note the personalized direction the Spirit is giving me. 

 What is said is not as important as what we hear and what we feel. That is why we make an effort to experience conference in a setting where the still, small voice of the Spirit can be clearly heard, felt, and understood.

Oh, how we need general conference! Through conferences our faith is fortified and our testimonies deepened. And when we are converted, we strengthen each other to stand strong amid the fiery darts of these last days.

............ How did President Lee know what we would be facing in our day? He knew because he was a prophet, seer, and revelator. And if we listen and obey the prophets now, including those who will speak in this very conference, we will be strengthened and protected. 

In enjoyed reviewing this talk and I KNOW that it is important to prepare, pray, listen, ponder and share the words spoken in General Conference. I love General Conference and always look forward to messages we receive. I am thankful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I love how it strengthens me and helps me improve and be motivated to do better. I love our leaders and I love General Conference!

Did you have any special feelings about this talk you would like to share? I'd love your comments. If you share your own thoughts on your blog, I'd love to have you share your link in the comments so that we can share our feelings together. If you don't have a blog, you can just post a comment. Thanks!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin