Monday, June 25, 2012

Garden Update

Motivational Monday quote:
"We will see the day when we will live on what we produce" Marion G. Romney

"Grow vegetables and eat them from your own garden" President Spencer W. Kimball

"Those families will be fortunate who, in the last day, have an adequate supply of food because of their foresight and ability to produce their own" President Ezra Taft Benson



I thought I would share the progress of my vegetable garden. Actually, this year I decided to grow vegetables in all of my berms instead of flowers. I don't have an "actual" garden spot, only places around my yard for flowers.

I decided to plant vegetables instead this year because:
1. No wedding in my back yard like last year for Jason and Sharon.
2. No spaghetti feeds for the cross country team like the past 4 years for Brady's team.

Although I think my yard is looking pretty great - it is all mine this year and not for "show".
Here are my squash plants. I'm planning on having the pumpkin climb the fence so that it doesn't over grow the area. It's quite a squished area - but I'm sure it will handle the squash plants. I have baby crookneck and zucchini's growing. I'm excited for the harvest!
Along side the patio are 3 tomato plants and 3 bell pepper plants. All started from seed. Baby tomatoes are finally starting to form.
In the corner by my gate, I have 3 more tomato plants. I always run out of canned tomatoes by spring and only have 4 quarts left from last year. I'm hoping to get an abundant crop this year of tomatoes. I also planted Marigolds and Aster flowers by seed. They are growing nicely but no blooms yet.
Outside the gate to the front yard are my potato plants. I haven't grown potatoes before but they are growing and have blooms. It's fun to try new things to grow. I hope I have a good harvest of potatoes too.
In the front yard in my big berm that is the length of my house on the side of my property line, I am growing corn. It's a little scary to be planting it in the front yard, but it's the only place that has full sun. It was planted late - after Memorial Day, so I hope I have enough growing season for "corn on the cob" from my very own garden.

I also planted Sunflower and Zinnia seeds to put some color on the side of the corn.
My berm with the corn in the front and potatoes in the back.
I've planted red and purple petunias for some beauty for the neighbors.
 This is my kidney shaped berm to the side of my patio. It's full of plants.

Lots of peas.
2 tomato plants that will take up the area when the pea plants are pulled out.
Onions
Carrots

The next two pictures are the same berm - just different angles.
 I planted carrots on the edge before the pea plants. Some of the pea plants are over the carrots but they are still growing strong. Once the pea plants are pulled up the carrots will still be in that area so it won't be bare of plants.
My onions. I've only grown green onions before so this is exciting to see the other onions grow. I seriously need to thin them. I plan on moving them to other parts of the yard and hope they will continue to grow when transplanted.
I planted beans in containers like I usually do. I have 4 more containers that are not pictured here. They are all doing really well.
The cucumbers have been struggling. The long stringy one with leaves on the very tip is the plant I started indoors, but hasn't done very well. The two little plants I planted from seed have been struggling and eaten alive.

I've been putting down bug bait like crazy and then I've been going out every morning for slug and snail hunts. The first few days I was finding at least 10 slugs/snails per day, now it's around 5 per day. It's amazing where they are coming from and this is the only plant they are really chomping on.

It's like the snails and slugs from all over send out a radar signal to come here and eat this. However, since I've been hunting and squishing snails and slugs every day I have new leaves. I am hoping it will finally thrive and grow.

I hope you've enjoyed a tour of my vegetable garden.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin