Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Happy Clean Living Facebook Group

Happy Clean Living Facebook Group
Click to Join Happy Clean Living Facebook Group.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

20 Minutes A Day



It wasn't until I started to read the Book of Mormon daily that I found the true value of it.

I found out the promise from President Gordon B. Hinckley is true:

Brothers and sisters, without reservation I promise you that if you will prayerfully read the Book of Mormon, regardless of how many times you previously have read it, there will come into your hearts an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord. There will come a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God.

This past weekend my mother was here visiting. She struggles with her membership in the church. I know she believes it, but struggles with attendance and a true testimony of the church.

I get frustrated with her. I told her that she needs to have a 20 minute devotional of reading the scriptures daily and praying. These are the key things to our religion that we do.

She doesn't understand the promise of reading the Book of Mormon daily. She has never experienced "the added measure of the Spirit of the Lord that will come into your life".

She told me that she doesn't understand it. It's too hard to read. She can't do it.

I told her it didn't matter that she doesn't understand it right now. You just need to start reading it every day. Read it out loud if you need to. Everyday for 20 minutes after saying a prayer for understanding - read it. Page after page, until it becomes a habit and understanding fills your heart. It takes a while to understand the language of the scriptures. But if you don't start, you will never come to an understanding of the scripture "language".

After a month of consistent reading, you will feel a Spirit of peace, the Spirit of the Lord fill your life.

I can't explain the truth of this to someone who hasn't experienced it in their own life. Having the Spirit with you so strong and the peace that comes into your life is the "power" of the Book of Mormon. I've read it many times since the first time I struggled reading it. But, I had a goal and I kept reading it day by day and then it happened, I started to enjoy it and the Spirit entered my life.

I LOVE the feeling that comes when I read the Book of Mormon. I want that Spirit with me everyday, and that is why I continue to read it daily. My life turned from chaos to peace. My home went from turmoil to peace. My life became happier and peaceful.

I know that Book of Mormon is true. I have felt the witness of it's truthfulness.

I hope my mom will start reading the Book of Mormon daily.

Over the weekend she stayed in a hotel with my cousin Mary. Mary reads a daily devotional from a book from Joel Osteen. I do love Brother Osteen, I love his positive messages.

But, I'm sad that we have a book of scripture from Heavenly Father that she won't read. She doesn't believe it - because she hasn't read it. If she did, I know she would feel the Spirit of Peace in her life.
I'm glad Mary is having a daily devotional to center herself and bring a positive spirit into her life.

However, the Heavens are open, we have a living prophet and we can have the blessings of the Spirit in our life if we pray and read the Book of Mormon daily. A greater peace in our life through this holy book.

It is really sad to me that every Latter-Day Saint doesn't take time daily to do the basic things to strengthen us and bring us closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. 

It strengthens me when I read the Book of Mormon daily and I know it will strengthen others if they do these basic things each day.  

"There will come a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God"

1 comment:

Garden of Egan said...

It is an amazing book. I often read when I don't have a good understanding but it does get easier and more understandable.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin