Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Book Review: "A Far Horizon" by Anita Stansfield

The second book in the "Shadows of Brierley" series:

"A Far Horizon"

I can't believe I am saying this, but I didn't like it. I think this is the first book from Anita Stansfield that I didn't like.

It was death and tragedy. 

I had a really tough time connecting with the characters. Usually through her writing, I feel as though I am part of the book, like I am right there. This time it was like a travel log.

I know the big thing right now is to focus on the tragedy that the pioneers went through ... and I don't like to read those types of books. I read for entertainment and the story behind the characters. I don't like the direction her writing is going with this series. It's like she HAS to write for some type of commitment to a contract .. but she doesn't love the characters enough to bring them to life. 

The part where I thought I would enjoy the story at the very end of the book was rushed with no testimony or detail. I was very disappointed with the whole thing.

It actually reminded me of Mocking Jay .... the last book in the Hunger Games Series. 

I'm sad that I recommended you to the first book (The Wanderer) to start the series ... because this is ending up to be a poor series to get involved in. Sorry again. :-(
About the book:

The journey had been long and difficult and full of mishaps—even deadly ones. But the words in Ian’s mind seemed . . . as if they encompassed all they’d endured and experienced; all their losses and sorrows. . . . You’re exactly where you’re supposed to be, Ian. It was true. He knew it was true. He was exactly where God wanted him to be, and so were those who constituted his family. . . . They were where God wanted them to be; they were on the right path, in the right place at the right time, and they would soon achieve their goal and be united with God’s people.

In volume two of her compelling new Shadows of Brierley series, renowned LDS author Anita Stansfield once again weaves a rich narrative her readers can savor. Remarkably poignant and magnificently moving, this is the story of a family whose lives are anything but ordinary . . . a family whose journey takes them from the luxuries and comforts of a privileged Scottish heritage to the raw realities of a fledgling American frontier and a people who are true to their God and their faith despite relentless persecution.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin