Monday, April 4, 2011

My thoughts on General Conference April 2011

The living Prophet on the Earth today is: Thomas S. Monson

Twice a year in April and October members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have the opportunity to gather together and listen to a living Prophet and Apostles. It is a joyous time to be able to listen for instruction from these great men . The conference takes place on Saturday and Sunday and can usually be watched on local TV station. There are 5 sessions (a 2 hour block of time per session).
This conference marks the 181st conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. General conference takes place in Salt Lake City, Utah at the new conference center above and broadcast through out the whole world. Oh, how I wish I could attend in person. You have to get a ticket to get in the building and they are hard to come by. Look how huge it is. 

As a family we gather around the TV and listen to the speakers. It is very inspirational. I always come away from General Conference with a renewed dedication to be more like Jesus Christ, keep the commandments and do the things I need to do to live with Heavenly Father again. I want to follow the teachings, because I know there is safety and peace in my life when I do.

This particular conference I felt like Heavenly Father was saying: "Sondra, I love you and I know who you are.

There were many things that come through the speakers that I felt were just an acknowledgement that I am a daughter of God and have a purpose here on earth and they KNOW ME. Some of the things that made me feel as if they were speaking to me is:
1. A temple in Meridian Idaho. When Brady goes of to college and a mission, my home will be very quiet and I plan to spend every minute I can inside the temple. What a blessing to have one minutes away. I have never lived in a city while a temple is being built. I can't wait to experience all the joy from seeing a new temple being built in Meridian IDAHO!!
2. The many references about Joseph F. Smith made me smile, since Brady just completed a project in Seminary about him. Every time he was mentioned - Brady and I looked at each other. It was heart warming.

Quentin L Cook's talk in the 1st session talked about Pioneer Women who lost their husbands along the trail and pressed forward and LDS women who continue to do great things. He spoke how women are incredible. He also said to Single Parents - The Lord is NOT unmindful of us. Another note I wrote down from his talk is "we are TV rich and Family poor" - we need to be more involved and there for each other, interacting more with our families.

I often think of myself as a Pioneer woman whose lost her husband along the trail - like my Great grandmother Zoay Martha Holman Long. At times I feel her close around me when I struggle. She raised her children and pressed forward and I can do the same. I just made a comment to a friend last week about this particular feeling. It was nice to have that feeling validated in the talk.
L. Tom Perry spoke about keeping the Sabbath day holy and be an example of the believers. We need to be well rested and spiritually prepared for the Sabbath. He said that we should dress appropriately all day long.

This has been on my mind a lot. Brady and I used to have a NO TECHNOLOGY rule on Sunday. It made Sunday different from every other day. It kept our home quiet and restful with church music in the back ground. In the past year, we have gone back to watching TV and playing on the computer. I've been thinking that we should go back to NO technology Sunday again and keep it a more spiritual day. I am committed to starting this again going forward. It's the Lords day and I need to keep it holy.
I loved Henry B. Eyring's talk on the Law of Consecration and/or the Welfare program celebrating 75 years in place to help the poor and needy. 

I have been committed to being self reliant. How can we help others in need if we aren't prepared ourself? 

Quote: "Everyone is happier and feels more self respect when they can provide for themselves and their family and then reach out and take care of others."

Another talk on this subject from H. David Burton:
The welfare program is to help relieve human suffering. 

We have a personal responsibility to be self reliant. 
We help people help themselves.
We need to avoid debt, be thrifty, prepare and listen to the Prophet
Differentiate between needs and wants and live accordingly.
We need to then care for the poor and needy, feed the hungry, clothe the naked and administer to the sick. 
Russell M. Nelson spoke about how there are many commandments and we should follow ALL of them. We don't have a "cafeteria" choice to pick and choose which commandments we want to follow . We need to keep all of the commandments to be obedient. 

When we keep all the commandments, our faith is strengthened and we will be blessed with more light and spiritual protection. 

He said there will be difficult days ahead. Those who follow the Lord will be persecuted. We have a divine nature and have been reserved in heaven for this time and place to be born. 

He followed with this quote from President Monson: "Fear not, be of good cheer, your future is as bright as your faith."

I could go on and on about my feelings for all the speakers. I am uplifted and renewed. I am thankful for the wonderful weekend we had. It strengthened my testimony in my Savior Jesus Christ and being part of his church here on the earth today. 

4 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Thank you for your post on the various talks. I worked all weekend long. We have a huge TV in the ER and had Conference on, but it was sooooo busy both days we didn't get to see any of it. I feel sorta empty.
I'm looking forward to watching all the sessions on the internet.

I love how you described how each talk made you feel.

Zoey said...

It was wonderful, wasn't it? I can't wait to read the talks again soon!

Pitterle Postings said...

I totally loved it too!! This conference was so amazing. I loved the way you described them all. I can't wait until I can read all of them.

Michelle said...

when Pres. Monson announced the temple in Meridian, I immediately thought of you!

so exciting!

and I actually got to listen to, enjoy, & learn from all 4 sessions because the "distractors" (boys & little ones) were back at home.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin