Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hungry Children

What would you do if some children came to your door looking for work to do. They wanted to earn some money for lunch.

Hungry children probably junior high school age, a boy and a girl trying to get money for food.

That is what happened this morning around 11:30 am at my door. 

It took me by surprise. They asked if I had any chores for them to do for a couple of buck so they could buy some lunch.

I couldn't think of a chore for them to do. One of my policies is that I don't let anyone in my house that I don't know. 

But, I couldn't let them go without giving them some money.

However, I had just gone grocery shopping early this morning and my cash was gone. I did find $8.00 in my wallet and gave them that. 

I felt bad for them. 

Then I thought .... I should have given them a loaf of bread, peanut butter, jam, apple, banana, cookies, chips, a gallon of milk, a box of cereal, a can of soup.. Food - more then just one meal for the weekend. But, I just wasn't thinking - it took me by surprise... 

Hungry children.. 

Soooo sad.

I wonder if our area has a back pack weekend lunch deal for kids in poverty. I'm going to have to check that out on Monday. If they don't they need to.

I know there are free lunches in the summer at the park. But what happens in the winter. 

Still, it breaks my heart when you come into contact with hungry children.

What would you have done?  Next time I'll do better. 

3 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Sondra that is so sad. I think I would have been as shocked as you were and would have thought about giving them food after they had left.

Maybe they'll be back so you can get some information about them.

You were their angel today.

Rhonda said...

I think it is sad but I also wonder were they after food, or did they want money to buy drugs? I am a pessimist I guess. It is good you gave them money and I like the idea of giving them food, but I am glad you did not let them in your house. I do not know what I would have done but I question what they really want the money for. Sorry>

Pitterle Postings said...

It doesn't matter what they wanted the money for. It was what you were willing to do that counts. "When saw we thee?" I think you did exactly the right thing. I hope that I would do the same. Now, you just need to think of a few chores that need doing for the next time!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin