Monday, August 23, 2010

Motivational Monday -"Discovering the Scriptures for Ourselves"

Discovering the Scriptures for Ourselves,” Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball,(2006),pp 59–68


As we immerse ourselves in the scriptures, we come to know and love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns.
I find myself loving more intensely those whom I must love with all my heart and mind and strength, and loving them more, I find it easier to abide their counsel. I find that all I need to do to increase my love for my Maker and the gospel and the Church and my brethren is to read the scriptures.
I have spent many hours in the scriptures. … I cannot see how anyone can read the scriptures and not develop a testimony of their divinity and of the divinity of the work of the Lord, who is the spokesman in the scriptures. Few of the billions [on] earth can walk with God as did Adam and Abraham and Moses, yet, in the world in which we live, the scriptures are available to nearly every soul, and, through them, men can become intimately acquainted with their Heavenly Father, his Son Jesus Christ, and with conditions and opportunities and expectations of life eternal.
No amount of human study can find out God, but he has revealed himself to his servants the prophets, and they have taught us of his nature. We can each have a confirmation of the truth through our own fasting and prayer.
The theological storms around us find us calm in the center of tempest with a simple, sure knowledge of the Father and the Son derived from the ancient and modern scriptures and affirmed by the Spirit. In this knowledge we have hope of eternal life.

Discovering the Scriptures for Ourselves,” Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball,(2006),pp 59–68

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Beeeee-autiful quote. It is so true for me to that I can feel a distance from my Heavenly Father when my scripture study becomes less important in my life. Great reminder.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin