Thursday, February 25, 2010

Recipe: Twinkie Cake

I saw this recipe on "Want What You Have" blog awhile ago and wanted to try it. Here is the link to her Twinkie Cake.

Twinkie Cake:
Ingredients:
1 Yellow Cake Mix
(1) 3-ounce package instant vanilla pudding
1 cup water
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
3 eggs

For filling:
1 cup water
5 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
Above ingredients are for the cake. I didn't have a 3 ounce pudding box in my food storage, but I had 1 ounce boxes - so I just used 3 of them. I didn't use the bottled water (for show only) I used tap water.
With electric mixer, mix cake mix, water, oil, and eggs at low speed for 30 seconds. Add dry instant pudding, and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes.
Pour in to greased and floured 13x9 cake pan. Bake 30 - 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Make filling when the cake goes into the oven, so the filling has time to cool.
Ingredients for filling.

Bring water and flour to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Cook and stir until thick and smooth.

Beat butter and shortening.

Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
Stir in flour mixture and vanilla.
Beat again until thoroughly combined.

When cake is finished baking, let cool completely on wire rack.
Slice through the center lengthwise, to make (2) 13x9 halves. (I really need to practise doing this and getting it straight *ha ha).
Put bottom half of cake back into pan, and spread with filling. Top with the other half of the cake.

Sprinkle lightly with powered sugar.
This cake is especially good chilled. YUM! (I just kept it in the fridge).

I really enjoyed eating this Twinkie Cake and will make it again. I think next time I may make cup cakes or 2 square pans and freeze one side or half of the cup cakes. I hardly ever make a whole cake - it is tooo much for our little family of 2.

5 comments:

Ann Marie said...

This looks great!
I'm sure it would be awesome as cupcakes!
You go Gourmet Girl!!!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Looks yummy! I'm afraid I probably shouldn't make it tonight....but probably will. Shame on me!

Michelle said...

looks good--thanks for sharing!

Small House said...

OH MY WORD....This looks Delicious! It's a for sure a "got to make it" cake!
Thanks for sharing your recipes.
Sandra

Kimmie said...

Wow your photo at the bottom looks perfect and what a yummy recipe to serve when company comes over.

I bet cupcakes would be great for this...little kids would love them.

My Ethan would love this as enjoys Twinkies VERY much.

Love your happy, positive, upbeat and inspiring posts.

Happy Weekend!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin