Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Primary Class CTR 7 Binder 2010 and Primary 2 lesson 12

It is a new year and a new Primary class. To get ready for my new class I put together the binder/journal for each student. I have 10 children in my class this year, another big class. Although I don't think all of them come regularly which I hope will change. I made 12 binders to have 2 extra in case we have new children move in. *Note, you can click on each picture to enlarge it/ read it and print it out.

I was smart this year and purchased the binders during back to school for $1 each - woo hoo!

This is the back of the binders. This picture came from the new nursery manual. I love it! The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the age for baptism is 8 years old. We believe a child is at an age of accountability and know right from wrong. We are baptised by immersion (our whole body goes under the water) just like our Savior Jesus Christ's baptism. It symbolizes a rebirth, our sins are washed away and we are clean. Then a man holding the Priesthood authority blesses us and gives us the gift of the Holy Ghost to be with us and help us choose the right in our life. During the blessing we officially become members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a wonderful event in our life and one never forgotten.

For the front of the binder I chose to put this year's program theme picture. It's a beautiful picture.

Every month I give the children a page with the Theme, Scripture and Song along with a picture that goes along with the theme. This page is printed on card stock to divide each of the weekly journal pages.


This is the journal page for this week. I encourage the children to keep a journal throughout the year. It will be a treasured keepsake to share with their own children preparing for baptism. I give an overview of the lesson, lines for their own journal/thoughts and I have the song words we sang during class.


This is the hand out which I found from sugardoodle. You can download it into a word document from Sugardoodle. I like that the lesson theme "I can prepare for baptism" was added to the handout from the book. Plus it is always a cleaner copy when downloaded into a word document verses trying to copy it out of the manual. I prefer giving a clean copy for their binder.

I'm going to try and be better at posting weekly our binder handouts. One final note, we start with lesson 12 and 13 to teach about baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost at the beginning of the year. Then we go back and teach lesson 1.

I love Primary!


11 comments:

Nikia, May and da kids said...

I use to be the Sumbeam teacher! the MOST HILARIOUS kids ever and brutally honest. I love and miss my 5 year olds. My son is the Primary teacher for the 8 year olds now and has already baptized one of his kids. It is a WONDERFUL way for him to prepare for his mission because the kids have so many real questions about the gospel. We love Primary at our home too!

May

Small House said...

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT THE BEST PRIMARY TEACHER. You remind me of my CTR primary teacher. I'll never forget sister Olsen. She loved us just like you love your primary class. It's that love that one never forgets!!!

Love all the ideas. I miss spending time with the youth and the children!! LUCKY YOU....LUCKY THEM!
Sandra

Valerie said...

You are such an AWESOME teacher! I'm the primary secretary and we're just working on getting our teachers to come on Sunday. Wish we had teachers that felt their calling could be so much more, like you do. What a huge eternal blessing for those children to have you as a teacher. You don't want to move to our ward and teach primary (in Spanish)? :)

KC said...

That really is the BEST idea ever! I was thinking of doing something like this for my sunday school class, and the kids are 16-17 year olds....however...I'm not that confident and fear that they would think I was a complete idiot! Maybe....someday, I'll be brave!

Valerie said...

I love this idea! I was just called to teach the Valiant 8 class and kind of had a similar idea that I wanted to do, but hadn't figured out how to make it work. I love the binder idea!
Do they take the binders home and then you just give them the handouts each time, or do you keep the binders in class?
Now I can get my creative juices flowing! :)

Zoey said...

You are SO wonderful! I need to get a copy of your class rules for our stake (if you would let me). Thanks for showing us all how to magnify your calling.

Ann Marie said...

I agree with Zoey.. You sure do magnify your calling. ~ And what efforts you go to show your kids you love them.. they are lucky.

Sondra said...

Valerie, Yes... they take the binders home with them each week and bring them back each week. They love them and really do a great job bringing them to class each week. It makes them feel important and realize how important our "getting ready for baptism" CLASS is. I tell them it's a class and this is like their homework/class information (along with a journal). Most of the time we don't have time to work on the coloring pages or journal and they either work on them after church or during sacrament meeting the next week.

Zoey Michelle, I only have three rules (and I have my badges - if you don't remember what my badges are let me know and I'll direct you to the blog). Anyway my rules are:
1. If you want to talk you have to raise your hand.
2. Keep your hands to yourself.. Don't put your hands in anyones personal space.
3. Sit in your chair like ladies and gentlemen. We are not animals or monkeys - and I expect you to sit nicely in your chair.

If they don't follow the rules they get a warning and if they continue to break rules then I take their badge away - but they can earn it back.

Also, I put a picture of Jesus on the door and we invite him into our class each week. The last person in line gets to invite him in and place his picture anywhere in the room they want to.

KC...I've had binders for a 10 year old class and they loved it. I really think 16/17 year olds would too. They really like extra fun stuff.

Oh... and one last thing everyone. I never have treats in my class. We have class parties instead. I don't want my children coming to church to get a treat....I want them to come to be taught the gospel. But, we can have fun outside of our "class". I tell them this the first day of class to prepare them of the way I teach.

Melonie said...

Question for you, I'm trying to decide how to divide up junior and senior primaries. Did your ward keep CTR 7 with junior or move them up to senior? What do you think works best? Would you email me back at meloniew a t g m a i l d o t c o m? Thank you. Any other comments would be welcomed!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Wow, what an awesome Primary Teacher you are! Those kids are so lucky!
You are an angel.

CreativeMish said...

I love the idea of the binders! It is something for the children to read often and the journaling idea is fabulous! It's great to learn to journal at a young age. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin