Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sweet Hope and Tymber


This is a picture of a sealing room in the temple. I assure anyone who is not familiar with LDS temples that nothing weird goes on inside a temple. The temple is not secret, it is sacred. I think it would help if you heard from one of our church leaders what temples are for.

Elder Boyd K. Packer answered that question:

The ordinances and ceremonies of the temple are simple. They are beautiful. They are sacred. They are kept confidential lest they be given to those who are unprepared. Curiosity is not a preparation. Deep interest itself is not a preparation. Preparation for the ordinances includes preliminary steps: faith, repentance, baptism, confirmation, worthiness, a maturity and dignity worthy of one who comes invited as a guest into the house of the Lord. All who are worthy and qualify in every way may enter the temple, there to be introduced to the sacred rites and ordinances.


LDS.org points out that many people believe the temple is like a large, grand cathedral. In fact it is made up of many different rooms, all of which serve a specific purpose. As members we enter to make sacred covenants with the Lord, and we return often to both perform the same work for others, as well as to remind ourselves of the covenants we have made. One of my favorite things about the temple is that after the first time through, each trip is an act of service for another person. It’s a wonderful sacrifice of my time.

You can barely see it, but each sealing room includes the “forever mirrors”. It is two mirrors set across from each other, which cause the reflection to go on forever. We believe that our marriage lasts beyond death, extending forever, and the symbolism is very beautiful.

My sister-in-law Rhonda posted this sweet story on her blog about Hope, her youngest daughter's experience in the temple.


On a funny side - Hope was so worried when she found out we were going to be "sealed". She thought they were going to put us in a box and never let us out. We, of course, explained to her "no" this wasn't what would happen. But the poor girl walked into the sealing room and what does she see but the alter that in her mind looks like a box.

She could barely see over it when she had to kneel down and had to stretch way high to put her arm up on ours.

It was over quickly and lots of people congratulated us and hugged us. She didn't say much the rest of the day. That night on the way home from Grandmas she was asking some questions about the alter. It really didn't occur to me what she was asking. Hope kept asking, "what was in that thing?" (the sealing alter).


I told her nothing was in it. Finally it occurred to me the poor girl walks into a sealing room with 50 or so people all around is asked to kneel down to this "box" - AFTER we assured her there would be no getting sealed in a box. Poor Hope -- what does her little 5 year old mind see a huge "box" in the middle of the room. Of course it would scare her.

After the sealing I held her up to the mirrors - I am sure she thought we would throw her in the box.

The girls are so sweet and were so excited. All the way down to the Temple Hope kept saying I just can't wait to see how beautiful the Temple is then she would start singing "I am a Child of God".

(Thanks Rhonda for letting me post this cute story about our dear little Hope.)

Aunt Chris had to make another batch of rolls for the rest of the Thanksgiving weekend. The first batches for Thanksgiving dinner were quickly eaten. Aunt Chris had Hope helping her - it was the sweetest thing to watch as Hope rolled out the dough.

Cut a circle and put it on the cooking sheet.

She did a great job and was very proud of these beautiful rolls. Aunt Chris is such a neat sister to take the time with lots of love to show Hope how to make rolls. Hope was a big helper.

They turned out fantastic, beautiful and yummy. Great job Hope!

Here is Tymber too. Usually I spend anytime we are together with Tymber in my lap or by my side. This time I didn't talk to her to much. There were so many people around and much to do. I never found out what she thought about the temple.

She is also a beautiful girl - the middle child that sometimes gets lost in the mix of the oldest and the youngest. I love Tymber - she is a wonderful girl. She is also very talented and has such beautiful artistic skills.

I'm kind of naughty - because I had to snap this picture of a bride and groom at the temple. I adore her cape. Isn't that the coolest idea? I wonder if she bought it new, or if it was a hand me down or if they made it. I've never seen such a beautiful winter cape - all in white. aaaaaaahhhhh.... Her dress was gorgeous too. I believe their faces are obscure enough - and I hope it isn't toooo bad to post total strangers pictures... but aaaaaahhhhh sooooo beautiful.

6 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

This was such a sweet post. Lil Sis and BIL's wedding was in the winter...it looked like a winter wonderland. She had one of the winter capes...probably exactly like the one in the pic. Manga Dork was her flower girl and had one too! Gorgeous!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That is such a great story about your niece. They are both such pretty girls.
I love the wedding snapshot too. Winter wedding.........ahhhhh.

Connie said...

So cute and such a wonderful experience. My son and daughter-in-law got married in December in the Manti Temple. It was a SUPER COLD day! The wind was blowing, it was snowing. The temple gave Nicole (my DIL) a white cape to wear outside for her pictures! Maybe that cape was from the temple too!

Tawna said...

Kind of reminds me of Gwenevier in Camelot.

Zoey said...

Love the stories and the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Sondra, this is funny. That groom is from my ward! We went to their reception and I thought her dress was gorgeous too. I love that you took that random picture because they were the cutest couple! By the way, I love your blog--very fun to read.

Elyse

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin