Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sept. Seminary Devotional - "Agency & Accountability"

One of my most favorite thing about going back to school is Seminary Devotionals. Yeah!! Since September doesn't really have a holiday to theme the devotional around, I asked Brady what topic he wanted to do his devotional on.

He grabbed his For the Strength of Youth manual and opened it to the first item - Agency and Accountability. My first place to go for help is http://www.sugardoodle.net/. She didn't have a link in her file box for Agency and Accountability - but she did have one for Choice and Accountability - cha-ching - great ideas in abundance!!

Here is the link to print out the handout. The handout says: If you were lost, which would you rather have to help you find your way?
A fortune cookie or a compass?
(bottom) Make your own fortune..... What you make of life isn't up to chance, it's up to you. Let the gospel guide you and you're one smart cookie.
It also has this scripture: 2 Nephi 2: 26-27: 26"And the Messiah cometh in the fullness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.
27: Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself." The best thing about this handout is that I didn't have to make anything... just purchase a fortune cookie and toy compass and glue it on. EASY... I liked it! I also had to give play doe. It was a great idea too - from sugardoodle - of course.
The top of the lid says: Make something of yourself.
Bottom of the jar says: Let virtue garnish thy thoughts.....
Around the jar says: With the Savior's help, you shape your own life. Use him as your model. (See 3 Nephi 12:48) 48"Therefore I would that ye should be perfect as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect"

7 comments:

Small House said...

Sondra, how cute! We don't have to do this for our Seminary, but I love to take these ideas and use them in Relief Society or hopefully Young Women's again someday. It's a lot of work and time to put these things together. But I think we're the same in this area....love to do it.

And thanks for your General Conference kit. Another great idea!!! Sometimes my well runs dry in the idea area, and it's always fun to stop by here and get it filled backup!!!
Have a good day.
Sandra

Ann Marie said...

You do such a good job.. he's goint to be asked weekly to do this! :)

I LOVE it! Love the theme.. the cookie.. the compass.. the play doh and the analogy's behind them all! Way to go!

My brother just started teaching seminary.. I'll have to show him your page.. and the work you put into them!

Scrappy Girl said...

Those are such neat ideas. I love finding a great internet resource for creativity!

Zoey said...

I think that you, Miss Sondra, can find anything on the internet! How fun it is that you make this fun for your son and for the kids in his class. I'm sure that they are always excited when it is Brady's turn!!!

Kimmie said...

Sondra, you always just brighten my day! Yes, "It's Autumn Time", I now have that Primary song playing in my head.

I can't believe how much you and I are alike! Way back 20+ years when I was in Seminary I always had to make a handout and bring a treat when it was my turn to give the Seminary Devotional.
Now, with Jade in Seminary I can see myself doing something like you have done for Brady.

It's amazing how much of a wonderful connection we all have together in Blogland and it's so fun and interesting how alot of the times we are thinking and doing the same/similar things.

I LOVE this website and I had never even heard of it. I'm sure the class just LOVED the thoughtful and fun handouts Brady brought.

You are one AWESOME mom! Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Sondra said...

Sandra... you make me laugh.. Our seminary doesn't do this either. Jason/Brady are probably the only ones who do it.. I love it - because it makes an impact that they remember through the day - instead of giving a scripture they forget within 10 minutes. I strive to have joy in the gospel and make it fun for my kids and their classes.

Kimmie... what?? You've never heard of Sugardoodle? I use it every week for my Primary class. They also have a Y/W area, Relief Society area. It's just a ton a great ideas from women all over the world and one place to capture the ideas from so many great women. I am always amazed at the women who submit and share their great ideas. It helps me l@@k good!!

You should definately check it out. If you teach Primary - you click on the picture of the manual on the home page and it takes you to the lessons and has ideas from the Friend to supplement your lesson or get a handout. All church approved. Through the week ladies submit the idea they will use for the Y/W lesson on the home page. It's a great place to check out and be inspired every day/week.

Valerie said...

Those are so cute! I haven't been over to Sugardoodle in a long time. So many creative people out there sharing ideas I could never come up with on my own. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin