Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cross Country Bob Firman Race - Guest Blogger Brady

Brady is the guest blogger today. These are the comments he left on the team website and I told him I would just use them on the blog (to keep as a record/journal forever).

For a little history so you will understand the beginning of Brady's comment -- Brady decided not to take the bus at 8:30 am because they were not racing until 12:30. We slept in and then I blogged about my stressful week which made us run a little behind. But we made it with time to spare. When we arrived, Taylor (Cherie's son) teased Brady that he missed the race - that the schedule changed and they ran earlier. It gave us a sad jolt ... but, he was just joking with Brady (wise guy *giggle). (Brady's comments) This weeks race is very memorable. I don't know what I did right, but I am very happy with my results. At first, I got kind of mad at Taylor (Bakow) because he said that we were running the second race when we were running the first race, but I'll forgive him.

So, I think I might have held the JV guys from warming up sooner, but I'm sure that they will forgive me also. I don't remember feeling extra excited for this race, I don't remember feeling exceptionally great, but I think one of the things that helped me going was a positive outlook.
I've noticed that there is a difference when you think you are running "against" a group of rivals, vs running "with" a group of friends. You have to think that this is something you choose to do, no one is making you do it, and cross county sure isn't going to change the fate of the world. You should see that you are running because you want to. No one will care if you do bad. No one will punish you because you stop.

When I was running my race, I came to a split second where I thought, man, I probably went out to fast, and now I'm going to suck, if I give up now, everyone will be disappointed in me. Then I realized, why am I thinking this? No one will be mad at me if I give up. I'm running this race for me, not them. Then that's when I felt it. If I feel like I can't stop, I want to stop. If I feel like I can stop, I feel like I can keep going.
I remember Rusty telling us to get out EXTRA strong, otherwise we would have to walk an EXTRA long amount, adding on to our time. The first thing I did was made sure I (quote) "RAN LIKE A MAD MAN" during the beginning of my race.

After I got past the gate part, I started to slow down to a pace that I though was pretty normal for me, but still keeping up the tempo with all the other runners around me. I gave an extra bit of effort going up the hills, and would lengthen my stride like a freaking gazelle on the down hills (passing a good amount of runners.)

I was EXTREMELY surprised when I was coming towards the mile 1 checkpoint. On our mile times we did earlier in the week, the fastest I got was 6:26. On this mile time, I magically managed to get 6:11 (personal record). I when I saw that, I was really shocked. I felt like I might have screwed up my race, used up too much energy for my first mile, and would not have the steam to finish the race successfully (like the first race of the season.)
(Picture of Taylor running)

Remembering that it doesn't matter if I stop, I'm running for me, not anyone else, I decided that all I could possibly hope for was just to go at the pace I was already going. Then I realized that the hill was not to far from the mile 1 checkpoint. So, I decided that I could spare just a little more effort going up the hill, so I did, and passed a few people on my way up. Going down the hill, I decided to lengthen my stride, and use the hill. I was experimenting a little. I lengthen my stride, started to create my own wind, started to pass everyone in front of me, and the whole time my eyes were as wide as plates hoping that I wouldn't die.
I felt that the fast running of the downhill took more then I expected out of me, and I didn't want to feel suicidal again, so I decided next time I went down, I would use it as more of a breath catcher for my big finish. For the second mile (and the third), I know you are supposed to create your own goals, but I already felt slightly exhausted, so I decided to let the goals come to me, like run with a runner who was going to pass me for 5 seconds or so.

I remember turning the corner and seeing the 3 mile checkpoint. I was mentally preparing my self for where I wanted to start sprinting. I also remembered that your sprinting muscles are different from your jogging muscles, so you can be completely exhausted like me, and still have a brilliant finish.
This is one of those times for me where knowledge was the key, because out of all the people in front of me, I was the only one that seemed to know that. So, when I was aligned with the finish, I started booking it. Since no one knew that right there was a good time to start sprinting, I started passing people, and passing people, and passed a guy that passed me 3 times during the race (fro man) I also looked at the clock for the first time of the season I think.

I was EXTRA motivated from it when I saw 20:48. My goal of the season was to beat 21 minutes, and the finish line was just seconds away. When I knew I could beat my season goal, I started to pass a guy that was maybe 15 seconds (no joke) in front of me when I was facing the finish line. I come in the finish looking at the clock at 20:55 (Personal best.)

I was so excited that as soon as I finished, I did something that almost seemed involuntary. I immediately lifted both of my hands in the air, forming two peace signs and shouted "Wooo!"


It also pleased me when the guy at the finish, who puts you in your spot at which you finish, and tells you not to stop, chuckles and says, "Good, job."

That is my very vividly described race for you, and I'm actually sorry, and pleased that you read my whole race reflection, instead of looking at how long it was, and going to a different race reflection. =P kudos to you. ~THE END

Brady also was recognized at the team meeting Monday for doing such a great job. He received a shirt (the top honor) for beating his time and for positive motivation. Here are the comments from Coach Rusty about the meet:

The Warriors are on the map. What a great week for running even though the seasonally warm temperatures continue we continue to see better and better races as the year goes on. Many people were within 30 seconds of their Silverwood time and that is better than an equal effort on this course, in fact for some it might be a minute slower race. Taking that into account we are right where we want to be at this time of the year. Just remember that in two weeks we will be backing off the distance and letting you rest so that you will feel amazing for the final races of the season. I can't wait to see the results from the district meet, but we still have a couple of meets before that happens, so lets learn all we can before the final race of the year.

One of the highlights of this week is the fact that so much of our team is out on the course cheering for one another, and much of the team stays around to support the rest of the competing athletes. I want to say that Taylor (another Taylor - not Bakow) did an outstanding job of cheering on his teammates even though he himself did not have a good race. That is what our team needs to do. It is OK to be frustrated with your own performance, but we are a team and must celebrate and support others who are out competing. I'm proud to say that we do a good job of this. Now for race recaps.

Boys JV: Chris Martinez is now a real threat to get on varsity and I can't wait to see his performance this week. Brady and Taylor B. also ran incredible races as did Cody. Our boys JV was much more competitive, and will only get better as health finds it's way back to our team.

RUN LIKE THE DICKENS

7 comments:

Scrappy Girl said...

I love Brady's thought process and personal goal setting. I hate running and I applaud his accomplishments. This will be a great post to look back at in the future...way to go Brady!

Small House said...

So Brady.....Do you get told constantly what a cute young man you are??? Loved reading about your meet. My son runs cross country, and there is something very good about the kids that run Cross Country. Thanks for sharing your story.

Sondra....Wait to GO!! You are an awesome mom.
Sandra

Rhonda said...

I love when Brady does a guest blog. Sounds like you had a great race and great job on beating your personal time! You are so positive all of the time and I love it.

Zoey said...

SO GREAT! Way to set a goal and achieve it! I hope that you continue to enjoy your season Brady!

Robyn said...

That is FAST! I have been working out every morning and I think I am running a fast mile when I am under 9 min! Way to go Brady!

Connie said...

What an awesome boy that Brady is!
I have a feeling cross country will be missed.

Sondra,
send me your email I'll send you the salsa recipe I used.

langfam10@yahoo.com

CB said...

Great job on the post Brady!

That was a hot day out there for your run!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin