Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Adventure for Youth at BYU Idaho

It's been a busy couple of weeks getting Brady ready for the Adventure for Youth Program at BYU Idaho.

On June 18th we sent a suitcase with Grandma to Pocatello so that Brady didn't have to take everything on the flight to Idaho Falls. We sent his bedding (sheets, blanket, pillow), his scriptures, a towel, swimming suit, swimming shoes, personal toiletries... basic stuff..

On June 20th and 21st he was in Salt Lake City visiting his Dad for Father's Day. He flew out Saturday morning and flew back Sunday evening.

On June 24th we were able to meet with our Bishop and get Brady a temple recommend to do Baptisms during AFY at the Rexburg Temple. On June 27th the Youth in our ward did Baptisms in the Boise Idaho Temple at 6:15 am. Then they took the youth out to breakfast. I was glad that Brady was able to attend before he left for AFY.

At 1:55 in the afternoon on Saturday, June 27th Brady flew to Idaho Falls. I was able to get a great deal on the flight. It was easier to fly and not drive all those hours. Aunt Rhonda picked him up from the airport and he was able to stay with my little brother, Richard and his wife Rhonda in Blackfoot Idaho. Richard and Rhonda's daughter, Autumn is the same age as Brady and they are going to AFY together.

Rhonda told me that they had a great weekend with Brady. All of Autumn's friends think he is sooooo hot... Giggle! This is the email Rhonda sent me about the weekend:

Brady kept hiding last night and scaring the crap out of Autumn. He would jump out at her downstairs and yell and she would start screaming. Then they would just crack up laughing. It was soooo funny.
Later, I went down to talk to her in her room and her back was to me. I said her name and she jumped a mile. She told me she was a little on edge and I shouldn't sneak up on her. It has been a blast having him here.

I am sure they were having a great time. He called me Saturday night and they were giggling and playing Rock Band. They are very close cousins and are connected at the hip when we are together.
Monday AFY started. Aunt Rhonda took the day off work and drove them to Rexburg (thanks Rhonda you are awesome!) This is what she said about the check in:
I got them there all safe and sound. It was a little confusing. The college is huge and it was hard finding their dorms. Plus, we were late and I got lost finding the places they were staying.

I dropped Autumn and Katie off on the side of the dorm with their counselor and left them.

I wanted to go see their room but needed to find Brady's. It was on the other side of campus. We arrived there 10 min late and the office was closed so he couldn't get his key to his dorm room. There was a phone number to call but they didn't answer. Since I had his room number we went to find it.

We walked up 3 flights of stairs and found an AFY coordinator. He had a master key and let Brady in his room. It was tiny 2 beds (cots) and a little closet and desk type deal. It smelled like dirty socks.

There were signs everywhere NO WOMEN ALLOWED. I told the counselor I was his mom and wasn't going to leave him until I knew he was checked in.

He took Brady to where everyone else was and helped me get his things from the car.

Then I left and had to try to find Katie and Autumn again. Katie left some stuff in the car as I was throwing them out on the side of the road. I found Katie and gave her the stuff she forgot, but didn't see Autumn.

I am sure they will have a great time. They were very excited. I think we ruined poor Brady being in this noisy house with these girls, he is used to his quiet home. Then all the talk with Katie and Autumn on the way up. It was pretty funny.
This is Brady and Autumn.
Katie is Autumn's friend and she went with them to AFY. Katie, Autumn and Brady.
Autumn, Brady and Katie.

Monday was check in at 1:00 pm, meet their counselor and group. Dinner, Devotional, then they did some AFY games and they end the night with a devotional with their counselor at 10:00 pm.

Autumn texted Rhonda Monday night and told her they were having an absolute blast.


They start each morning at 7:00 am with breakfast and scripture study. I am sure it will be a very fun and spiritual week.

Autumn texted at 6:30 Tuesday morning saying they were up and ready for the day. They were doing rope courses today that involved some heights but she was excited.
There is a Rope course on the campus which they did Tuesady morning. Then after lunch they had an adventure and some activities. After dinner they were doing a service project and a dance at 8:30 pm then devotional at 10pm and bed. I am sure with Autumn and Katie the dance will be fun for Brady. They will make him dance!

Wednesday they do some activities in the morning. After lunch they will go to the Rexburg temple to do baptisms. After dinner they have a AFY Recess and end the night with a devotional.
Thursday they are rafting down the Snake River. Last Monday we received this email from BYU Idaho regarding the upcoming rafting trip.
Dear AFY Participants,

Final preparations are being made to welcome you to AFY, and we look forward to having you join us this June.

Eastern Idaho has experienced an especially cold, wet spring. The Lewis and Clark River Expeditions company, who guides our white water rafting trips, has requested that each youth who participates in the rafting trip be properly attired for these unusual weather conditions. To avoid the possibility of hypothermia, splash gear will be available for participants attending an OYA session in June. The splash gear keeps most of the water from the body, but it does not provide insulation. Please bring pants and shirt or long underwear to wear under the splash gear. Cotton fabric (such as sweatshirts, jeans, and t-shirts) is unsuitable for cold-weather rafting and is STRONGLY discouraged. The following fabrics provide an appropriate insulation barrier for cold-weather rafting:
· Polar Fleece
· Synthetic Fleece
· Wool
· Neoprene (or similar synthetic)
· Wet suit
Your safety is our main concern, and we appreciate your efforts in taking additional precautions.
After recieving the email I started making calls to find a wet suit that we could borrow. Luckily my customer, Mary Kay let me borrow one of theirs. I was worried about this before we recieved the email. I knew it was going to be cold and dangerous. I have to keep the faith that they will take care of my son and will not put him in any danger.

I also told Brady to hold on tight and stay in the raft. If he didn't feel good about rafting on the river he could opt not to do it. I told him it was his decision. Autumn will text Rhonda after the rafting trip and we will be praying that all goes well.

Friday is the last day of AFY. They start off with breakfast, scripture study, devotional, testimoney meeting, lunch and closing ceremonies. It ends at 1:45 pm and my VERY nice sister in law - Aunt Rhonda will pick the kids up.

I am working Friday morning then will drive to Pocatello for the July 4th holiday and spend the weekend with my family. We will return Sunday and Brady starts Driver Training bright and early on Monday morning July 5th.

Jason and Sharon will be staying at my house to take care of my plants and home while I am gone. (they just said to have the kitchen stocked with lots of good food - LOL)

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Heard from Autumn again tonight. She said they were sunburned and were off to a dance. I thought she might call me but it is late and I am sure they are exhausted. I am so glad they are getting to experience this together. What a great memory for them.

Scrappy Girl said...

Looks like some real FUN! I love when cousins are close. The rafting would freak me out a little, but it will be a good experience for him. Have a great 4th with your family.

We still don't know exactly what we are doing. I know Niagara is unfortunately not an option now. Thank you for your comments about the "camping situation"...it helped SO MUCH to hear from great mothers about how I did the right thing.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Well, your kids are just about in my yard. I'm just two blocks from the dorms. In fact, the dorm parents are in our ward.
Hope they are having fun. They do an awesome job with these kids. It should be a great time for them. Hope you enjoy your week of relative "quiet"

Connie said...

It's so good that they have these opportunities to learn and grow and have a great time!
Hope everyone (including you) has a great week. Enjoy your holiday with your family.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Hey Sondra, I left you an award on my blog!

Small House said...

FUN!! AFY sounds like a lot of fun. My son is going to BYU Idaho for EFY...don't tell him about AFY!! I think he would love that.

Have fun in Pocatello. You'll be about an hour away from me. I like Pocatello. Funny hU?

Have a happy 4th! Sandra

Small House said...

FUN!! AFY sounds like a lot of fun. My son is going to BYU Idaho for EFY...don't tell him about AFY!! I think he would love that.

Have fun in Pocatello. You'll be about an hour away from me. I like Pocatello. Funny hU?

Have a happy 4th! Sandra

CB said...

I think the AFY program sounds super fun!! My other kids have gone to EFY but I think we'll try AFY one of these years.
I bet Brady is having a blast!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin