Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Seminary Devotional for Easter

It's that time again to do another seminary devotional. I had a tough time coming up with something this time. I looked and looked and finally decided to give empty eggs with the scripture: Matthew 28:6 "He is not here, for He is risen, as He said.

At Easter there are bunnies, candy, and eggs. An empty egg reminds us that the tomb is empty, for Jesus has risen. (I wrote the scripture reference on the outside of each egg)
I wanted to have Brady do the 11 Easter eggs with props in the eggs. He didn't want to do the props but I put them here for future reference. Brady will just give the scripture story.

#1 Matthew 26: 39 (Sacrament Cup)
And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed saying, O my father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from; nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

#2 Matthew 26: 14-15 (3 dimes)
Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went into the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver.

#3 Matthew 26: 48 (Chocolate kiss)
Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; hold him fast.

#4 Matthew 27: 1-2 (Knotted twine/rope)
When the morning was come, all the chief priests and leaders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death. And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

#5 Matthew 27: 24-26 (Soap)
When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person; see ye to it. Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. Then released he Barabbas unto them; and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.

#6 Matthew 27: 28-30 (Red felt or silk - rose thorns or tacks)
And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe. And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand; and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him saying, Hail, King of the Jews! And they spit upon him, and took the reed and smote him on the head.

#7 Matthew 27: 31-32 (Nail)
And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him. And he was crucified. Nailed to the cross.

#8 Matthew 27: 51 (small baggy of dirt)
And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, ... my God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? and Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost. And the veil of the temple was rent in twine from the top to bottom. (and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent).

#9 Matthew 27: 59-60 (Rock/pebble)
And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth. And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock; and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulcher, and departed.

#10 Mark 16:1 (Spices/whole cloves)
And when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had brought sweet spices that they might come and anoint him. And behold, there was a great earthquake; for the angle of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye; for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.

# 11 Matthew 28:6 (empty egg)
HE IS NOT HERE, FOR HE IS RISEN, AS HE SAID.
I found these cute book markers to give too. They can be found here:
An of course sugar cookie eggs.

(Brady's testimony he is closing with - written by Brady) I would like to bear my testimony in saying that I know Jesus Christ lived, and died on the cross, and that he opened up the heavens, and allowed us to repent for our sins, so we could return to our Heavenly Father. I know that He lives, and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

5 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Oh my Sondra..
I have seen something similar to this given out to Visiting teachers.. but an ENTIRE class?

YOU ARE AMAZING!

Those sugar cookies are calling my name...MMMMMM.....

You seriously have outdone yourself!

Robyn said...

My mom did the same lesson for us this week for FHE (since we are visiting). I guess great minds must think alike! But...we didn't have the cookies. :(

Zoey said...

I love these devotionals that you and Brady do. I think that it makes it fun; I really like the meaning of the empty egg too!

Small House said...

Oh my goodness...Sondra, you put so much into everything you do. I'm totaly amazed.

NOW...I think you deserve a break. Eat chocolate.

Sandra

Cherie said...

Sondra that is great. I love the scriptures in the eggs and the sugar cookies - um yeah I'll be right over!! Ha Ha J/K

I started thinking as I looked at all your work this time, that I have had 2 kids graduate from Seminary and the 3rd one will in 6 weeks and I never knew about their devotionals until after they were done. They would come home and say "I had a devotional today and this is what I did...". I don't know if I lucked out or got the shaft that I didn't get to help them! All I know is their friends didn't get cookies or eggs! Brady's friends in seminary probably love you!!!
You get the awesome mom award!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin