Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Monday, January 19, 2009

Our Sunday

Saturday Morning Brady was asked to give a talk Sunday... I don't know what it is about giving our family an assignment to give a talk in one day.... maybe we are always too willing to always say yes and serve when needed. Brady was very lucky (yah right) that he was able to give a talk for a missionary farewell with the Stake President on the stand.... Oh the joys of being a humble servant ready and willing to give a talk. Brady wrote it by himself as I was totally freaking out about preparing for my lesson and our classes class presentation of sharing time...

Here is a copy of Brady's talk. He did an awesome job! He is a great son - I am very proud of him!
Yesterday, I was assigned to give a talk from Elder Christensen about Reasons to Smile. As I was reading it, I couldn't help myself but to smile, because the whole talk is about why we should smile.

One of the things I find at school is that I am always a happy person. I tend to automatically smile all the time. It seems that if my friends think about me, they probably have this mental picture in their mind that I'm smiling, because if the see me not smiling and acting normal, they think I'm depressed, or that something is troubling me, and I just find it funny, because sometimes I don't think about how happy I am all the time. It just seems normal to me, that we should all be happy. I hope that you are all basically happy people by nature as well as I am.

A smile costs nothing, but gives much. It enriches those who receive, without making poorer those who give. It takes but a moment, but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever. None is so rich or mighty that he can get along without it, and none is so poor but that he can be made rich by it. A smile creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in business, and is the countersign of friendship. It brings rest to the weary, cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad, and is nature's best antidote for trouble. Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed or stolen, for it is something that is no value to anyone until it is given away. Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give.

When we search our scriptures daily, how many times does the Lord command us to "be of good cheer" or to "lift up your heart and rejoice" and be exceedingly glad? I found some scriptures that help with this. In D&C 78:17-19 it says: -------. We should remember that the Lord is commanding us to be of good cheer, not having it be merely a suggestion.

Also remember not to forget those who are less fortunate then us, weather they be in our country, or many other third world countries around the planet. I remember a long while ago, in a geography class, our teacher was showing us pictures of families across the world. The theme of all the pictures was that they would take everything from their house except the kitchen sink, and put it outside, so we could take a picture of all their possessions. I remember one picture was the whole family living together, and they had, a few blankets and a few pots, and maybe some oil, rags and clothes, and they lived in a house that looked like it was made out of dirt, and that was all they had. So, that's one thing to be grateful for, that we have a nice home, job opportunities and local stores that help us get our needs and essentials.

Keep in mind though that possessions aren't everything. If you were to make a list of all of your blessings and sort them out by priority, on the top would be your priceless blessings, things that no money could buy, and then you would probably go down a ways before you start getting to the blessings that could be bought for money. Our most important blessings are without price.

Remember that we all face difficult times in our lives, but remember that in the end, the Lord could have been teaching us something that we can carry and use throughout our lives.

So everyday, when you wake up, recognize how blessed you are, so you can go on through your day smiling.

And now that I'm done with this talk, I guess that I too, right now, have a reason to smile. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Now on to the sharing time we did. Theme: I am created in the image of God. My body is a temple. As the children came into the Primary room, we gave each child a squirt of hand sanitizer to clean their hands with.
Our children told about the Plan of Salvation. I printed it off the story from sugardoodle of course. There were 7 visual aids and we had 7 children there -- it worked out really good. These visuals were a whole sheet - loved it!Then I went on with an idea I found from: http://sofiasprimaryideas.blogspot.com/2009/01/more-primary-sharing-time-helps-and.html (I would really love to learn how to make a cute link with a "click here"... if you can tell me in a comment - I would really appreciate you a bunch!!)
Have a picture of a hamster. Has anyone ever had a class pet before? Who does the pet belong to? How do you take care of it? Would you ever feed the hamster something rotten that would make him sick? Would you ever take a pen and draw on it? Why?

Have a coat. This is your best friends coat and they are going to let you borrow it. How would you treat it?

Now hold up a mirror. We have something even more precious that Heavenly Father has created and given us. How do we take care of what we see in the mirror?
David Bednar has said, "Interestingly, I have heard many people, both outside and inside the Church, declare, “It’s my body and I can do to it what I want.” The correct doctrinal response to such a statement is quite simple. No, your body is not your own; it is on loan from God.

As we read in 1 Corinthians 3:16–17 [1 Cor. 3:16–17]:“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?“If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.”

We talked about eating good food and I had a little snack for each child - 5 grapes, 1 slice of an orange and 1 baby carrot. My class handed them out. I also showed candy and pop and asked if this is what we should eat to keep our body healthy.
We talked about exercising our body and I had them all jog in place for 1 full minute - you'd think I was putting needles in there eyes - LOL...
We also talked about keeping the outside of our bodies clean. I had soap, washcloth, scrubbing brush, fingernail clippers... I told them soap was their friend and that they needed to bath regularly and wash their hands, and keep their body clean.
We talked about modest clothes and I had some samples of bad clothes and good clothes...
I also talked about media and keeping our mind clean: Bad/Good DVD's, Bad/Good books and magazines, a Playstation hand control and asked them if it was good to play 4 hours a day killing people all the time... Yes, I took everything but my kitchen sink to Primary :-).
The choices we make about the use of our personal temples will affect us throughout all eternity." “ 'Ye Are the Temple of God’,” Ensign, Sep 2001, 14*
I also had the following titles on the chalk board with the questions/answer game from sugardoodle. "What We Take into Our Temple", "What We Put on Our Temple", "What We Do to Our Temple" and " What We Do with Our Temple". These quotes are from Eldar Bednar's talk 'Ye Are the Temple of God’,” Ensign, Sep 2001, 14. For the remainder of sharing time, the children came up and picked questions and answered them.
Our sharing time was fun and I hope it helped them understand that we need to take good care of our bodies (just like a hamster or a borrowed coat).
This week I finally was able to get this year's Primary Theme music burned on a CD for the children in my classroom to work on. I get frustrated that they really don't sing during sharing time. I hope within a couple of months this will be fixed and they will all be singing!
My lesson this week was on the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I found this great treasure chest to make for each student in our class. It is from the Friend, June 2000. I glued jewels on the picture jewels. The children just loved it. The Holy Ghost is the greatest gift we will ever receive in our life - a true treasure. The jeweled cards had scripture references with missing words about the Holy Ghost. I also included a coloring picture and their brief summary of the lesson for their binders. They love getting these things to fill their binders. It's a bunch of fun!
I haven't blogged too much this past week as I was trying to get things organized for my lesson and sharing time. I get soooo busy sometimes, but it's doing things I love.

3 comments:

Ann Marie said...

No wonder Brady is always doing devotionals, and giving talks.. You both put so much work and love and time into everything you do!

I am always amazed at how much you do for your class.. I bet they just love you..

Thanks for the thoughts.. I will remember to smile today! :)

Zoey said...

I'm sure Brady did a wonderful job! I especially love the ending! That's one thing that I wish - that I knew my cousins better. Love you!

Autumn said...

That was a really good talk Brady!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin