Monday, November 10, 2008

Motivational Monday- "My Soul Delighteth in the Things of the Lord"


It has been a few days since I have blogged! Today I am going to leave you with the talk I gave in sacrament meeting yesterday. It is long so I understand if you don't read it all. In it there are several items that I am thankful for - which should catch me up for the days I have missed blogging what I am thankful for this month. I've added pictures through my talk to pick out key elements that I am thankful for. I hope you enjoy my talk!

The assignment for my talk was based on the talk from Susan W. Tanner, May 2008
"My Soul Delighteth in the Things of the Lord"

Delight in the things of the Lord…. Will ‘lift’ our hearts and give us cause to “rejoice”.
We’ve just went through a historical election this past week. We now have a new President of this great nation. During the seeming very long campaign, I received many scary emails, read a lot of stories and listened to talk radio which caused me a lot of anxiety about our future. We have been going through high gas prices, higher food prices, a housing down turn and stock market slump.

It’s been kind of scary as we look to the future. At times I have wanted to bury my head in the sand and not think of it at all. I hate having feeling of sadness and a feeling of hopelessness. I just refuse to live that way.

When I received the call to give a talk on Friday night, because of a problem that came up…My first reaction was Yikes! Of course I would accept this call from my favorite home teacher and from someone I love dearly from our beloved bishopric who worked with me endlessly when I served as Primary President.. Although – he now owes me BIG! Usually I prepare endlessly for a speaking assignment in sacrament meeting and pray for lots of guidance. I pray I can leave you up lifted and that the spirit will be here during my talk.

The topic of this talk has come in a week where feelings maybe a little unsure of the future with a new President and the challenges we face.

This past week was also a day of celebrations as we enjoy the victory with Prop 8 in California passing. What a great victory for the family. It was great to hear the stories of the tireless hours those California’s sacrificed as they pressed forward in sharing our Heavenly Fathers plan of salvation.

As we look at the Plan of Salvation, it was a plan of happiness set out by our Heavenly Father. We shouted for joy. We were happy!

Today in our lives, we too should delight in the things of the Lord for it will “lift” our hearts and give us cause to “rejoice”.

Sometimes we get very caught up on the things of the world and forget our true purpose for our existence here on this earth. Mortality is our test to become like our Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ. I delight in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Like Nephi who says in 2 Nephi 33: 6 - "I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus for he hath redeemed my soul from hell” I also glory in Jesus, in His ministering and saving roles upon the earth. He provides light and hope and has given us the Holy Ghost for further guidance and comfort along the pathway we should go. It is only through Him that we can return to our Father. “Salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ”

Sometimes life is just plain old hard.
But hard is not necessarily bad… it is just hard. And during intense times, we sometimes grow and learn the most. Despite the disappointments, trials, sadness and challenges – and often because of them – I have learned many things I know today better than I knew before I had the challenges I’ve gone through in my life. As I endure from the many trials I have grown stronger and obtained more knowledge through the “tests” of mortality. This knowledge I have gained simply cannot be taken from me.

I know that God is our Father, He loves us and He is serious about us. He is serious about our becoming as He is and fully wants us to return home. That is why He created a plan and gave us His Son, even His Firstborn and Only Begotten Son in the flesh, so that we could become who we have the potential to become.
I know that Jesus is the Christ, and that He can and will forgive and redeem us. Not only that, but He can strengthen us, deliver us from everything from worry, stress to fear, and enable us to do and endure things we could never do or endure on our own. I know that He will carry burdens too heavy for us to carry, that He is filled with mercy and love, that He is quick to forgive when we repent, that He stands by us even when we don’t do as well as we know how. And I know that He can heal hearts, minds, emotions and afflictions. And He does.

I know that the heavens are open, that the veil is thin, that angels minister to us, that the Lord will teach us things that can be learned only through and by the Spirit, that the Holy Ghost is both a gift and a power, and that the privilege of receiving revelation through Him is an unspeakable gift.

I know that Heavenly Father bestows His multitude of gifts upon those who follow His Son, and that the only sustaining source of peace, hope, strength and love is in Jesus Christ.

I know that the greatest way to worship our Father is by following His Son. I delight in our Savior, Jesus Christ.
I delight in the strength of youth. “Read from Strength of Youth pamphlet” The message from the first Presidency:

"Our beloved young men and women, we have great confidence in you. You are choice spirits who have come forth in this day when the responsibilities and opportunities, as well as the temptations, are the greatest. You are at the beginning of your journey through this mortal life. Your Heavenly Father wants your life to be joyful and to lead you back into His presence. The decisions you make now will determine much of what will follow during your life and throughout eternity.
Because the Lord loves you, He has given you commandments and the words of prophets to guide you on your journey. Some of the most important guidelines for your life are found in this pamphlet. We testify that these principles are true.
We promise that as you keep these standards and live by the truths in the scriptures, you will be able to do your life’s work with greater wisdom and skill and bear trials with greater courage. You will have the help of the Holy Ghost. You will feel good about yourself and will be a positive influence in the lives of others. You will be worthy to go to the temple to receive holy ordinances. These blessings and many more can be yours.
We pray for each of you. May you keep your minds and bodies clean from the sins of the world so you can do the great work that lies before you. We pray that you will be worthy to carry on the responsibilities of building the kingdom of God and preparing the world for the Second Coming of the Savior.
The First Presidency

Sometimes when I stress about worldly things, Brady my son gets worried about his future and then I have to stop and become more positive because I have very high hopes for the strength of the youth today to do many great things. They are a chosen generation. I am excited for the day Brady goes forth to teach the gospel on his mission and when he can kneel a across the alter in the temple from is future bride and they together will have an opportunity to have a family of their own. Brady and I discuss often his goal in being temple worthy throughout his life. That through this he will find his greatest happiness in life.

I loved the song in the October New Era for “Steadfast and immovable” Here are the words
As the rising generation, we have learned the gospel plan.
Though the storms of change around us Challenge faith on every hand.

Like a beacon in the darkness, sending shining beams of light,
All the words of Christ before us, show the way to win the fight.

Even when our trials grow stronger, still our hope does not grow dim.
And we know by serving others, we are truly serving Him.

Steadfast and immovable, standing true unto our Lord;
Looking forward, strong in courage, Faithful to his glorious word!

I have confidence in our youth and the future that is theirs as they are steadfast and immovable. It has been such a blessing in my life to have worked with the Primary children for so many years. They truly are special spirits, strong spirits who really do have a light in them. They are very smart and amazing of the gospel truths they already have.
I delight in reading the scriptures and the feeling that penetrates my home when I regularly study them. When I am busy or lazy and don’t regularly study them – I can tell a difference in my life and my home. The spirit isn’t with me as strongly as when I am faithfully reading them. With Brady in Seminary we have been reading the New Testament each day – to me it isn’t the same feeling I receive when I study the Book of Mormon. That to me is a strong testimony that the Book of Mormon is true and it does bring me closer to my Heavenly Father as I read it. Last week is while speaking with the Seminary teacher during parent teacher conference – I realized that I need to add back my personal study of the Book of Mormon in my day – along with our study of the New Testament.

Just as Alma and the sons of Mosiah learned that the preaching of the word has a “more powerful effect on the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else. There is power in the word to heal our wounded souls, to help us overcome temptation, to prompt us to repent, to humble us, to bring about a mighty change in our hearts and lead us to Christ.

President Boyd K. Packer taught that “true doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior. In other words, the word of God can lead us to change. It can literally transform us.
I also delight in Priesthood here on the earth to guide us in these latter days. The priesthood keys that provide the ordinances we need to live with our Heavenly Father again. I delight in the many temples that dot the earth where ordinances are performed, where we make covenants with our Heavenly Father and can be sealed together forever. I know that there is power in the ordinances of the priesthood, that the priesthood is in very fact the power of God delegated to man on earth. Isn’t it comforting to know that every worthy man and woman has access to that power?

I take great delight in my role as a nurturer, which allows me to express my deepest identity as a woman. Sister Tanner says that she never fails to be struck by the way that women, young women, and even little girls seem to have an instinctive interest and ability in nurturing. It is not only a mother’s primary responsibility but also part of our “Individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose. To nurture is to teach, to foster development, to promote growth, to feed, and to nourish. Who would not shout for joy at being given such a blessed role?
It’s a great responsibility as a mother…
But, President Hinckly also admonishes both men and women to be nurtures. He said,
How much more beautiful would be the world and the society in which we live if every father looked upon his children as the most precious of his assets, if he led them by the power of his example in kindness and love, and if in times of stress he blessed them by the authority of the holy priesthood; and if every mother regarded her children as the jewels of her life, as gifts from the God of heaven, who is their Eternal Father, and brought them up with true affection in the wisdom and admonition of the Lord.

As some of you know I have 2 sons, Jason and Brady who happen to be 10 years apart (24 & 14)… In a way for Brady it as been a blessing to his life – because I have learned to enjoy each moment and not to stress about every little thing – but try to really cherish each moment that goes by so very fast.
I loved President Monson talk this past conference “Finding Joy in the Journey” where is says, “ If you have children who are grown and gone, in all likelihood you have occasionally felt pangs of loss and the recognition that you didn’t appreciate that time of life as much as you should have. Of course, there is no going back, but only forward. Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future.

If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will – to your surprise – miss them profoundly.

The challenge is to REALLY enjoy the Journey… love it and Delight in it!

When we talk about being a nurturer… I think we also need to look around. Who needs you and your influence? Who needs your healing nurturing touch? Who needs someone to understand them and to believe in them? Who needs to hear you say, “I know things are going to be all right,” or I just know you can do it?

It is great to belong to the Lords church and to this ward! I have been very blessed by my associations, examples and loving care by many people in this ward. How wonderful you have been in my life and my family. I truly have grown as a person from when I first moved here to where I am now. And those of you who have known me these past 10 years - are surely shaking there heads.
I delight in the gospel!! I delight in having a living prophet and to have their direction in our life. From President Hinckley’s optimism as he said, “I see a wonderful future in a very uncertain world. If we will cling to our values, if we will build on our inheritance, if we will walk in obedience before the Lord, if we simply live the gospel we will be looked upon as a peculiar people who have found the key to a peculiar happiness… Great has been our past, wonderful is our present, glorious can be our future. We have glimpsed the future, we know the way, we have the truth. God help us move forward to be come a great and mighty people spread over the earth”

And the wonderful words from President Monson to Enjoy the Journey and his message to us to: “Search inward, Reach outward and Look Heavenward.

I finished with my Testimony --

3 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Wow! Good job!!Great talk!!
Thanks for posting it!!

Robyn said...

You must have given a wonderful talk. You are such a strong woman!!

Zoey said...

I looked up the song and fell in love with it! Thanks for sharing that beautiful talk with me - you didn't tell me that you had to speak on Sunday! I'm sure that it went well.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin