Thursday, November 6, 2008

I am Thankful for our churches Young Mens Program

Last night Brady went to our churches Young Men's Program which is every Wednesday night each week. It is a great time for the boys to work on Boy Scout requirements and our Church also has a Duty to God program the boys work on. I am so thankful for the men who lead this program and help these boys gain skills to help them throughout their lifetime. One of the great opportunities these boys have is to provide service for those in need. Last night the boys gathered together to rake leaves for the widows and single sisters in the ward. Well... since I am a single sister, the boys showed up at my house to rake leaves.

I only wish this was a picture of my back yard - how lovely that would be. I love the crunch of leaves under my feet as I take a walk. It reminds me of childhood and playing in the leaves, walking to school in those crisp fall days as leaves crunch under our feet. I love that I live in a place where we have 4 seasons to enjoy. I love each season of change and the beauty of it.

Back to the service project. I didn't have very many leaves, but the boys did rake up what they could. I am always very thankful when others provide service for me. I am one who does everything for myself and have a hard time excepting service...but then I realize what a great opportunity it is for these boys to provide this service for others and me. I am very thankful to them for their kindness in thinking of me and raking my leaves.

I love what the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet says about service to others. (so I am going to quote it)

Service to others is one of the most important characteristics of a disciple of Jesus Christ. A disciple is willing to bear other people's burdens and to comfort those who need comfort. Often Heavenly Father will meet the needs of others through you.

When serving, look to the Savior as your example. Although He came to earth as the Son of God, He humbly served those around Him.

There are many ways to serve others. You can serve in your Church assignments and in your home, school, and community. Seek daily the guidance of the Holy Ghost to know whom to serve and how to help meet their needs. Often the most important service is expressed through simple, everyday acts of kindness.

As you devote yourself to serving others, you will draw closer to Heavenly Father. your heart will be filled with love. Your capacities will increase, and your life and the lives of those around you will be blessed.

I really love that message. In reading that, it reminds me that I need to serve others more often. Random acts of kindness, a nice note or a visit, taking a meal to someone in need and helping others. Throughout the remainder of this 2008 year, I am going to try to get Brady and me to give more service to others. I know that when your lose yourself in service, your own problems become lighter.

Here is my list so far of the items I am thankful for: 11-1: Living in a free country, 11-2: Our beautiful world, 11-3: Motivational Monday on Gratitude, 11-4: Our freedom to vote, 11-5, Thankful for Fire fighters, 11-6: Thankful for Music which calms my soul, 11-7: Thankful for Y/M and their service.

3 comments:

Ann Marie said...

I'm so glad!! You deserve it!
Yay for service, and for Gratitude!
Thanks for your recipe, and comments! Have a great weekend!

Shauna said...

We have 3 teenage boys and we agree with you, Young Men's Rock! Hope you are having an awesome weekend! ♥ Hugs!

CB said...

I too love the YM's program. It keeps our boys focused on important things and does provide service and other opportunities.

I also am enjoying reading each day what you are grateful for, it helps me reflect on those things as well.

Thank you:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin