Copyright

Copyright © 2008 Happy Clean Living

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Spooktacular Seminary Devotional

Brady had a seminary devotional today. This was seriously fun for me as it's been a few years since I have been in seminary - plus...!!! 3 years since I could be involved in his classroom as a room mother. Of course being the over achiever I am, we had to do something extra special. The first place I go for inspiration is http://www.sugardoodle.net/ (of course my favorite place). This is the devotional we came up with: Brady carved this pumpkin last night to go along with his devotional (while I decorated cookies).

During the Halloween season we often carve a pumpkin.

What is the first thing you have to do when carving a pumpkin?(Cut the top off)
We have to open ourselves up to receive the Holy Ghost, by reading the scriptures, praying, Keep the commandments before we can be cleansed inside.
In 2 Nephi 32: 5 it says: “For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.”

What is the next step? (Clean the gunk out)
What would happen if we tried to put the candle in before cleaning it out?
(it won’t stay lit, won’t shine through)
The light of Christ can’t shine from us if we’re not clean. How do we become clean? (Repentance)
In Moroni 8: 28 it says
“Pray for them my son, that repentance may come unto them. But behold, I fear lest the Spirit hath ceased striving with them; and in this part of the land they are also seeking to put down all power and authority which cometh from God; and they are denying the Holy Ghost”
We need to repent so that the Holy Ghost can dwell in us.

What do we do next? (Carve a face so the light can shine out.)

What is the final step? (Put a candle in)
St. Matthew 5: 14 – 16 it says
“Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

It’s a dark world out there and the world needs our light! I hope you will remember this as you carve your pumpkin this year and be the light of the world!
Then Brady gave the class pumpkin cookies - shown here.
Then he gave them Pumpkin Poop for fun! Orange Tic Tacs.

It was spooktacular! Brady was very excited to give his first devotional. I can't wait until he gets home and tell me how it went.

1 comment:

Scrappy Girl said...

That is SO neat! I loved reading it. Love the pumpkin poop...so funny!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin